We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holding Deposit on Cabin in Seviereville Falsely

Which Sevierville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Greenwood
Level Contributor
3 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Holding Deposit on Cabin in Seviereville Falsely

What can we do in the future to not repeat the horrible experience we experienced when renting a cabin in Seviereville in September? We were falsely accused of damage to the couch and the owner held most of our damage deposit. What can we do to protect ourselves in the future? We had no defense---

The damage was there when we first got there--it was our word against theirs and they had the upper hand, because they had our money ??? Suggestions???

right over your...
Level Contributor
962 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Holding Deposit on Cabin in Seviereville Falsely

Use a charge card and then report it to the charge card company.

Rent from companies that have many good reviews.

What cabin/company was it?

Bedford, Indiana
Level Contributor
5,756 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holding Deposit on Cabin in Seviereville Falsely

Stay at the Comfort Suites on Teaster lane or the Music Road Hotel, we have had great stays at both of them with no issues. The Music Road Hotel has great views of a creek behind the hotel, those rooms are the best. IMHO

Tombstone, Arizona
Level Contributor
710 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holding Deposit on Cabin in Seviereville Falsely

Greenwood: There seems to be a mounting complaint list for some of the cabin renters both old and new, who have recently rented in the area.

The complaints mention such things as, the tub was not working, and the management could not get it fixed that night, or whenever. The cabin was unclean, the bed linens were dirty, we tried to get another cabin and the management had no options. All of these complaints seem to be suddenly surfacing, and I wonder if it is not just the sign of the times. I can remember when this would not have been a problem, as these same managers, that you and the rest of the posters sign an agreement, with a credit card, apparently are not the same type of person we dealt with many years ago, and I mean that explicitely. Indeed, today, one has to protect themselves from all sort of concealment, misrepresentation, and yes I am afraid, just downright lying.

How to protect yourselves, and your investment of time and of course your hard earned money, is a rather arduous process called "Lets Meet The Manager at the Rental Unit and Inspect it Before we enter an agreement"

Yeah, it is a bother, but consider the alternatives and it becomes less of one.

It is a sham the way some of these things are allowed to exist, whether it is by a rental agancy, or an agency representing an owner, and there seems to be a lack of concern. It is what is called "Caveat Emptor", or Let the Buyer Beware.

I would recommend to all that you make a point to arrive at your destination during normal working hours, if you intend for the manager to inspect your cabin or whatever, and thereby call his or her attention to ALL of the shortcomings, whether it is the condition of the cleanup, or if something is not working etc. You also would be wise to take a picture of this situation, using your cell, so as to enforce your complaint, should it come to that.

Remember, its your hard earned money, and they have it, and you must spend your time and money to get it back, and it can really be a shuffle.

Good luck on your plan.

right over your...
Level Contributor
962 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Holding Deposit on Cabin in Seviereville Falsely

Elusive, Great idea, but how many managers are going to do that? How many would be able to meet everyone at every cabin, some rent a lot of cabins. Even if they own the cabin or only have a few, you just never know when something will come up. And what if they say they will meet you then they do not show up, they still have your money. Who can set a time they will be there with never knowing what the traffic will be like?

I would definitely never arrive after dark and try to find a cabin on those roads. It might be safer than day time because you can see lights and have a little warning of someone coming from the other way, but it is scary in the dark on those curvy roads with no street lights.

I would just stay with only one of the companies that have a real good track record even in these hard days.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,270 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Holding Deposit on Cabin in Seviereville Falsely

I always pay for cabins and hotels with a credit card. A big reason for that is so that I can dispute any charges. I wouldn't rent from a company that required a deposit in cash or by check-- I choose only places that hold my reservation with a credit card. That is really the best way to protect yourself. It is also a good idea to take photos of the place if there is damage (and immediately let the office know of any damage) Sad, isn't it? that you cannot trust people. sigh...

Grove City, Ohio
Level Contributor
227 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Holding Deposit on Cabin in Seviereville Falsely

First of all, you make a list of all damages and call the rental company to make a report of them. Secondly, as soon as you can, mail that list to yourself and DO NOT OPEN IT until everything is completed. They can't argue with a postmark a Judge opens!

right over your...
Level Contributor
962 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Holding Deposit on Cabin in Seviereville Falsely

Soon as you can? LOL

Drive back down those curvy narrow roads to go find a post office.

Who is to say you did not do it before the post mark which might not be for one to 4 days depending on what day and time you mail it and if it goes to another city for post mark.

8. Re: Holding Deposit on Cabin in Seviereville Falsely

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, May 30, 2010