We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rod Run

8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Rod Run

Did anyone else notice that rod run was more like a spring break this year. I go to enjoy and appreciate all the cars but this year it was not enjoyable at all.

Bedford, Indiana
Level Contributor
5,826 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rod Run

In what way like spring break?

Sorry you didn't enjoy the cars as much this visit.

Maybe you could expound on why is wasn't enjoyable.

8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Rod Run

More of a mardi gras than car show. Seen many get arrested and this is the first time i have seen the police have to patrol to this degree. Thankfully they did though.

Level Contributor
1,391 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rod Run

The town needs to put an end to these car shows. It's not the right setting for these kinds of events. A federal highway should not be tied up for people cruising back and forth. It's a major regional thoroughfare, not a town dragway.

8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Rod Run

While sitting in traffic on the parkway i watched several ambulances with no way to get thru. Having to go down the wrong side of the parkway and taking other dangerous measures.

Bedford, Indiana
Level Contributor
5,826 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rod Run

Oh, ok, yes that is unusual. Most times the cruisers are mostly older than fifty, well behaved and very courteous. We've never seen anyone unruly in the area.

We've often wondered how much longer it takes for fire and emergency personnel to get to the incident during peak traffic. Probably like it is getting through the streets in NYC and other large cities that have major vehicle traffic jams? We've seen interstates in the mountains where they block traffic and get to the accident site by driving the emergency vehicles the wrong way because traffic is so heavy they can't get there on the right side of the highway.

I really doubt they will ever stop the rod runs and car shows, the local economy gets a major boost with each one. On the car show/rod run weekends, some hotels reserve almost all rooms for people attending the car events.

I would guess, that is one of the driving factors in Veterans Blvd., Teaster Lane, etc.

Thankfully, I had said I would not return, then the new roads opened, we found them and life is good again.

Martinsburg, West...
Level Contributor
211 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rod Run

Made the mistake of arriving on Saturday of the Rod Run. I thought it couldn't be worse than July 4th traffic, I was so wrong. It took us probably 3 hrs to go about 4 miles on the parkway in Pigeon Forge. Once we made it to the hotel we walked where we wanted to go until Sunday afternoon. The rest of the week was great as far as traffic goes. I'm not even sure what the point of the Rod Run was, all I saw were some cars parked along the road & awful traffic, with people sitting along the parkway in chairs. I guess the point is just to look at cars going by? I'm not a car person, so I will never make the mistake of going again during that weekend.

Bedford, Indiana
Level Contributor
5,826 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rod Run

Yes, it's been that way every time we've been to PF on a weekend. I think the rod runs and motorcycle groups are what keep PF and GB going during the warmer months. In the fall of course it is the people seeking beautiful leaves.

Thankfully, with the new roads, if you plan your stay well, the traffic can be a non-issue for the most part.

It's always busy during rush hours getting to and from the interstate. They are working on the bottlenecks there as well.

The actual car shows are usually based down by the river past Music Road Hotel. We've always been impressed how courteous the other drivers are to let people in or out of traffic when it is so busy.

Of course there are often some who end up acting out, causing problems for the rest of us.

Thankfully during the week traffic eases a lot, or it has seemed like it to us.

Tidewater Va.
Level Contributor
68 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rod Run

Having been to a lot of rod runs, I have found a lot of the traffic was due to a lot of young local people wanting to view the cars. When the run was in Gatlinburg I noted most of the acting up was locals and not the rod run people. When I have the time and money tied up in my auto, I will not risk damage and be careful. An ez way to enjoy the cars and listen to its sound is to pull up a lawn chair and sit back and enjoy the show. Loud autos are not enjoyable to anyone but being 50 plus I due love the engine sounds. Guess it is a rodder thing.

Prattville, Alabama
Level Contributor
938 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Rod Run

This reminds me of something I read in The Mountain Press the other day:

themountainpress.com/news/x740450544/Lewd-Ro…

Bedford, Indiana
Level Contributor
5,826 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rod Run

I'm glad he reported this behavior. Like I said earlier, I've never personally seen any bad behavior during the Rod Runs. PF generally does not tolerate non-family oriented behavior. As the other post mentioned, with the money most people have invested in their custom vehicles, they don't want anyone acting stupid around them.

I am confident PF will get a handle on these activities and put a stop to them.