We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

somrthing new to do!

Which Pigeon Forge hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Memphis, Tennessee
1 post
Save Topic
somrthing new to do!

my husband and i are coming to wears valley in early november and we are considering taking the tuckasegee railway 1st class excursion tour from bryson city. is this something you would recommend? also, do you recommend taking a riverboat excursion in the pigeon forge/gatlinburg area? we are looking for something different to do than our usual trips to the smokies. we have done all the shopping, cades cove, the most advertised attractions...we love the area but just want something different this time!

thank you!!

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,609 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: somrthing new to do!

My only experience with the Great Smoky Mountain Railroad was on the Polar Express excursion during one Christmas with our kids. We love that, and we've talked about doing a fall daytime tour, but we haven't yet.

I'm not aware of any riverboat tours in the area. The rivers are much too shallow and rocky for that, I think. Have you done any of the rafting tours? The outdoor drama "Unto These Hills" and the Oconaluftee Indian Village in Cherokee are very interesting.

Grove City, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,519 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: somrthing new to do!

If you're looking for something new, try the Smoky Mountain Alpine Coaster. It's out Wears Valley Road a mile or so from the Parkway. It's individual roller coasters that the rider controls the speed. We rode it twice last week and it was a blast. The only reccomendation that I have is to take gloves if it's chilly. You have to keep your hand on the brake levers the whole ride and mine got a little cold on the trip down the hill.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
13,519 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: somrthing new to do!

Have you done part of the Blue Ridge Parkway? Its a nice day trip to access it in Cherokee, stop at some of the viewing spots along the way, hike to the waterfall at Graveyard Fields, Have lunch at Mount Pisgah Inn, then either continue to Ashville and come back on I-40 or backtrack a little, stop in Waynesville for ice cream and visit some shops. Come back on the 321.

We also did the drive out to Fontana Dam. We intended to go all the way to the tail of the dragon and come back around thru Marysville but a rock slide had the road closed. You can rent boats at the dam and cruise around on the lake. There are lots of great waterfalls to hike to all within a day trip from PF & GB.

jc tenn
Level Contributor
541 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: somrthing new to do!

There's a riverboat in Knoxville. They have lunch/dinner cruises.

KC

Franklin, IN
Level Contributor
94 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: somrthing new to do!

Just curious, what was the cost for riding the Alpine Coaster? We were there earlier this year and they were starting to build it. It looked fun!

Salem, Virginia
Level Contributor
326 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: somrthing new to do!

Alpine coaster is 15 for adults, 12 for kids. Another new fun place is Goats on the roof. Its a really nice general store with actual live goats walking around on the roof, you can feed. Its also on Wears Valley Road close to the Alpine Coaster. The Timberwood Grill is a really good new restaurant on the Island in Pigeon Forge. There is also a new Skywheel that is fun on the Island.

La Porte, IN
Level Contributor
105 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: somrthing new to do!

There are coupons out there for the Alpine Coaster and it will end up being $11, was a lot of fun.

Grove City, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,519 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: somrthing new to do!

Another way to get $11 rides at the Alpine Coaster is to buy four rides for $44. You can get them at the location without a coupon.

Kingsport, Tennessee
Level Contributor
249 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: somrthing new to do!

Is the Alpine Coaster worth 15.00 a pop for a 2-3 minute ride ? Do you get to ride more than once ?

Grove City, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,519 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: somrthing new to do!

The coaster is a different experience from most other things that I have ridden. It is a little pricey, but, it's something that is not that common. I think that it's the only one east of the Mississippi. As mentioned above, there are discounts that reduce the price to $11 per ride. It is only one ride for the price.