We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Doesn't appear that anyone is staying home!

Alabama
Level Contributor
959 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Doesn't appear that anyone is staying home!

There from Thursday (10/10) until today (10/12). It is the most crowded I've EVER seen it. It's worse than "Leaf Weeks" the 3rd and 4th weeks of the month. Park closure must be keeping everyone bottled up in town. Parkway is an absolute ZOO! Be sure to ride the Alpine Roller Coaster on Wears Valley Road. It's awesome....even for those of us in our 50's!

Mississippi
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Doesn't appear that anyone is staying home!

That's what concerned me. With one road opened in the park, people are all jammed up in town eating fudge and riding "People Flingers".

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
676 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Doesn't appear that anyone is staying home!

People-flingers LOL I don't think I've ever heard them called that before- that's great!! I'll have to remember that one.

It has been so crowded here this week. I hope the park is opened back up before peak color time, or it is going to be an absolute nightmare. Traffic was really bad just about the whole time we have been here this week. We hit some back roads to try to miss some of the traffic, and I think it was my favorite part of the trip. I love taking the auto tours, especially Roaring Fork. But just driving these back roads and seeing the beautiful scenery *almost* made up for not being able to go into the park. I know it's nowhere near the same thing, but it was as close as we could get this trip.

I really do hope they get something figured out soon. Not just so the tourists can get into the park- I read an article this week and the amount of money that is being lost is staggering. Alot of the organizations DEPEND on those tourists to keep them going. This shut down is going to have some bad consequences that the politicians don't seem to be too worried about.

Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
2,776 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Doesn't appear that anyone is staying home!

Am I correct to assume "people flngers" and motorcycles are one and the same thing? If so, that was cute. Never heard them described that way.

Alabama
Level Contributor
959 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Doesn't appear that anyone is staying home!

Ha! I think the "people flingers" must be the thing where they get into a harness, lifted up, and let go to swing. We got out of the car at BK and heard a scream - looked directly across the street and saw it. All I can say is this....if you have a young family and need to turn loose of some serious cash.....you can find a place to leave it in PF.....go-carts, fair rides, arcades, you name it. I was a little too chicken for the hot air balloon, but the alpine roller coaster in Wears Valley was fun!

Mississippi
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Doesn't appear that anyone is staying home!

I refer to all those rides along the strip in Pigeon Forge as "People Flingers". Just about anything they strap you into that involves centrifugal force qualifies. :-)

kentucky
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Doesn't appear that anyone is staying home!

Last week was Fall break for most of Ky. schools. The ones that didn't head to the beach, headed to the Mtns. I'm sure that also contributed to the crowds.... and the people flingers!

7. Re: Doesn't appear that anyone is staying home!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 16, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Pigeon Forge