We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to eat dinner on a budget?

Beckley, WV
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
12 helpful votes
Where to eat dinner on a budget?

Wondering about food “cheap” for the family. I’m on a fixed budget this was a last minute vacation plan and I want to have a great time without the worry. Dinner shows being out of the question I can imagine the baby crying as other’s trying to listen . . . there is another post but prices not discussed more about quality.

I’m more exited about taking the kids to Aquarium and the Zoo in Knoxville; the parks etc.. but would like a nice dinner for myself and hubby. We really like Outback here and the price is within reason; what do you recommend for the same cost. Like say $60.00 for 2 adults and 2 kids; one a baby? I figure one dinner we’ll order in “Papa Johns” and spend the evening at the pool, the other say “KFC” and drive to the park.

Park Forest, IL
Level Contributor
319 posts
35 reviews
6 helpful votes
1. Re: Where to eat dinner on a budget?

Coalminerswife for good BBQ I would recomend Corky's in Pigeon forge. Check out this website http://dininginthesmokies.com/ they have many menus that you can look at many of them include the prices.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
44,339 posts
96 reviews
305 helpful votes
2. Re: Where to eat dinner on a budget?

Not to worry, there are plenty of places to choose from all up and down the parkway, including lots of fast food, tacos, and pizza. If you really want a good, balanced meal for a good price, try Golden Corrall (very close to the Toni Inn by the way).

One thing to consider is that while many chain restaurants advertise "kids eat free", generally those promotions are not in effect in P.F.

Find one of the coupon books in the stands located just about everywhere and see if there are any coupons in them which can help you out. There's usually two or three different coupon books containing restaurant clips.

tennessee
Level Contributor
383 posts
3 reviews
26 helpful votes
3. Re: Where to eat dinner on a budget?

email me for information about food...pkgobble@yahoo.com

tennessee
Level Contributor
383 posts
3 reviews
26 helpful votes
4. Re: Where to eat dinner on a budget?

forgot to tell you that i too am a coal miners daughter, but i am not from butcher hollar...i guess that is how you spell it..haha

Winchester, TN
Level Contributor
76 posts
6 reviews
155 helpful votes
5. Re: Where to eat dinner on a budget?

Try the Chop House. Its in the Outlet Stores with the green roof, I think called Tanger at Five Oaks. ( Its very recognizable, maybe someone else remembers the exact nameof the mall.) I think this is the best restaurant in the area, we have memorable meals and service every time we go there. And trust me, Ive been to the Outback many, many times......Chop House puts them to shame!! Price wise, Im about 90% positive its in your price range if I remember correctly, but to be sure, there's a menu posted outside the door, so you can check it and not have any surprises inside.

If your interested in mini-golf, my favorite course is at the entrance to the mall as well, Old MacDonalds Golf, has a farm theme with lots of animals, might be fun for the kids.

Hope this helps!!

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
6. Re: Where to eat dinner on a budget?

Coal miner's Wife- can I make a comment about the zoo in Knoxville? I have a review here on Tripadvisor for that - you may wish to read it. I'm a zoo enthusiast and have visited them large and small. The Knoxville Zoo ranks near the bottom for me in terms of quality. Now, I don't know how many zoos you've been to.....but......I would not go back. They had a couple of neat habitats, but it was largely unkempt and had lots of empty areas.

I will say that the younger your kids are, the more they'll probably enjoy it. I'm sure others might disagree, but I did not find it a good value.

My advise is save your admission price and just go to Cade's Cove and see the wildlife for free!

As far as dinner - you won't have any problem finding affordable places. Damons Ribs in Pigon Forge is quite good. I've had people tell me the Chop House is great but I have not eaten there.

And, you're the Army people, right? Thanks for your service to our country! God bless!

Winchester, TN
Level Contributor
76 posts
6 reviews
155 helpful votes
7. Re: Where to eat dinner on a budget?

By the way, thanks to Southsidejohnny for the putting up the address to that great website!! I have never seen that site before, very informative and useful!!

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
77 reviews
288 helpful votes
8. Re: Where to eat dinner on a budget?

CoalMinersWife -- don't want to hijack the thread but did want to respond to bud's post about the Knoxville Zoo. I, also, have been to other zoos where I might say the "quality" was better if you're talking about aesthetics, but I cannot agree that Knoxville's is a waste of time. I have been several times (with visiting family who always ask to go) and have always had an enjoyable time there and have been able to see a lot of animals (unless you go in winter). Of interest to you, the Kids Cove area is brand-new, very well done, and I suspect you won't be able to get your kids out of it!

I am not a zoo aficionado like Bud, so I will defer to him on the ambiguous quality scale. I haven't gone there with the eye of a critic, just as a casual visitor to have a good time, and we've always had a great day.

Back to the food, I second Alissa's recommendation of the Chop House!

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
9. Re: Where to eat dinner on a budget?

please note I did not say the zoo was a waste of time - merely trying to express my opinion ( which is no more or less than anyone else). Best wishes.

Beckley, WV
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
12 helpful votes
10. Re: Where to eat dinner on a budget?

Thanks for all the replies! I think we have decided to go to Rainforest Adventures instead. I have an 8 year old who I've taken to other zoo's twice and he said he'd like to see all the snakes!! The baby will not remember much about it anyways.

I thought the road construction would kill our fun for the day anyway if we tried to go to the zoo and got stuck!

I will say that the Rainforest Adventures had mixed reviews but just the Cobra pictures made my son scream for joy. The zoo would have been the same . . he's a boy so anything creepy crawly is the way we go! I hope we'll have a good time it's half the price of the zoo so my pocket book is smiling!!

Nice to see also the support for the military! We're out now after having a baby the moving and school change we didn't care for. I will say we loved it, by the time we were 25 we had drove from CA to WV, lived in Schweinfurt Germany for 3 years and the Beach 2! Never wen't on a "real" vacation but enjoyed traveling to new locations!

Thanks again for all!