We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to visit Pigeon Forge river?

Central New Jersey
6 posts
Save Topic
Best place to visit Pigeon Forge river?

Would you have any recommendations for public access to the Pigeon Forge river? We are staying in Pigeon Forge at a hotel, but not one that is on the river. I would like to take the kids (2, 7, 10) to the river at some point, to see ducks and other wildlife. We will be hiking a bit in other areas, but I also would like a spot that we can just drive up to near the downtown area, to get out and see the river. If there are any spots that have picnic tables, that would also be helpful to know. Any suggestions?

Townsend, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Townsend, Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Level Contributor
967 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to visit Pigeon Forge river?

Right behind the Old Mill restaurant is Patriot Park.

Central New Jersey
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to visit Pigeon Forge river?

Thank you so much! This is exactly what I was looking for.

Level Contributor
1,409 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to visit Pigeon Forge river?

Drive south on 441 out of Pigeon Forge to the Foothills Parkway between Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. Much more beautiful and less polluted than in PF.

Townsend, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Townsend, Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Level Contributor
967 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to visit Pigeon Forge river?

If you are looking for a place to feed ducks, you will find plenty of hungry ducks in PF. If you want to get in a cool mountain stream, many better options upstream and closer to the headwaters in the Park. Also, just as you come around the last curve on the Parkway and into Gatlinburg from PF you will see a sign on the right for Herbert Holt Park - make the hard right and follow the short road into the Park - a popular picnic area and trout fishing spot that is set aside for kids and right next to a trout hatchery.

Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to visit Pigeon Forge river?

tnoutdrsmn, we've stopped at the picnic area you mentioned a few years ago. My wife and I, and my sister and her husband stopped there. As I remember there was some grills there too. It WAS very close to the river.(possibility for fishing) The only thing I didn't care for was it was pretty much "out in the open", not very secluded. You're pretty much "in town".

paintsville ky
Level Contributor
1,511 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to visit Pigeon Forge river?

We love to go behind Econo Lodge in Pigeon Forge their sign even says "come feed the ducks" they have food for the ducks in little machines and picnic tables so you can sit and enjoy all the ducks...best place in Pigeon Forge for the kids to see and feed ducks.

Amory, Mississippi
Level Contributor
129 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place to visit Pigeon Forge river?

I agree with hagerhill. We stopped back there a few times before and it was a lot of fun for the kids and adults! Take 5-10 dollars worth of quarters or your own corn. The ducks will walk up to you and eat out of your hand if you are still.Take the camera!!

Edited: 9:47 am, July 29, 2013
Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place to visit Pigeon Forge river?

Whenever we stayed at a motel, or picnic'd near the river, whether in the park or in CHEROKEE, we always carried an extra loaf of bread, or a box of plain donuts, to feed the ducks.

Fairmont, West...
Level Contributor
285 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best place to visit Pigeon Forge river?

We stay at the EconoLodge Riverside a lot, and as others have said - they invite you to come feed the ducks. We go to a Southern States or Tractor Supply Company store and get a 10 pound bag of corn for about 4-5 dollars. Don't waste your money putting quarters in their machines - a 10lb bag will last us 2-3 trips and that includes sharing with whatever kids are there the same day we are. In addition to the ducks, there are pigeons that will fly down and sit on your hand to feed. The ducks will take it right out of your hand. Sometimes there are squirrels there and if you are there at the right season - the baby ducks following their mother are cute. We have also seen herons across the river, but they have never come for food. But the best tip is to take your own food. We were there one time when a man was filling the machines - boy, did we get a dirty look.

10. Re: Best place to visit Pigeon Forge river?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 23, 2014