We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cabin vs hotel vs condo - how do you decide?

ontario
Level Contributor
50 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
cabin vs hotel vs condo - how do you decide?

we have never been to Pigeon Forge and are hoping to come down (9 hour drive) in August - probably the first week. I have been doing lots of research, but am stumped whether to get a condo, a cabin or book a hotel. Two adults, two kids 11 & 8. We plan on doing Dollywood, dixie stampede, white water rafting, maybe some caverns, Ripley's aquarium, etc. The kids LOVE to swim, so that makes me lean towards a hotel with a pool and slide. But it would be nice to have a bit of a kitchen to cut down on eating out, as well as a separate living room for when the kids go to bed. I've been looking at cabins on VRBO also. I just can't decide! What are the pros and cons to all of them, and how do you decide?

kentucky
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: cabin vs hotel vs condo - how do you decide?

We have stayed in cabins, hotels,and condos. For us the condo works best. Usually stay at Whispering Pines Condos. I do plan to check out Cherokee Lodge Condos on our next visit. The cabin trip was nice and the cabin was nice. We found ourselves spending more time driving to the towns for various reasons and also for going into the park& Cade's Cove. Driving back after dark was a little dicey and not something I enjoyed doing. The Condo is off the parkway in the middle of most things in PF. Lazy river /pool and a new indoor pool is a nice thing with kids. Also like the extra room over a hotel room and a washer &dryer so don't have to pack as much or bring dirty clothes home.We can eat in or out so grocery is close as are restaurants-- so for us condos work best.

Bland, Virginia
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: cabin vs hotel vs condo - how do you decide?

cabin for us if we are staying more then a couple days. we like to cook and cut down on eating out so much. also a lot more room when we take a group of kids. but when we use a cabin we usually do the music road hotel. we really like the pool and waterpark there.

Prattville, Alabama
Level Contributor
938 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: cabin vs hotel vs condo - how do you decide?

We like staying in a hotel in Gatlinburg because we don't have to worry about parking. It's nice to walk out of the hotel and we're right there in town. And we can go back to the room at any time to drop off anything we've purchased or just to rest for a while. We sometimes drive back and forth between Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge multiple times a day with no problem.

ontario
Level Contributor
50 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: cabin vs hotel vs condo - how do you decide?

thanks everyone! I appreciate all the replies, although it didn't help make my decision! will keep looking.....

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
731 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: cabin vs hotel vs condo - how do you decide?

We prefer a hotel for the following reasons:

1. The restaurant experience is a big part of our vacay

2. We like being within walking distance to everything (usually stay in gburg) and not pay parking.

3. We like the amenities - pool, coffee in the mornings, etc

4. I am petty enough to enjoy someone else making my bed

That said, our next trip we will probably look for a family suite since we now have two wee ones. :)

Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: cabin vs hotel vs condo - how do you decide?

Slahta, those are all valid reasons why we choose a cabin. 1) the restaurant expense can be a major part of our vacation bill. 2) We like being away from the motel crowd. 3) We make our own pot of coffee, and enjoy it by ourselves sitting out on the deck among the peaceful setting of the mountains. 4) And we may or may not choose to make the bed that morning.

17. Re: cabin vs hotel vs condo - how do you decide?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, July 14, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Pigeon Forge