We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 days to visit park and surrounding areas- suggestions ple

Which Pigeon Forge hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
moss point
Level Contributor
192 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
6 days to visit park and surrounding areas- suggestions ple

My fiance and I will be getting married in the smokies on May 17th. we will have from Friday to Thursday to visit the park We have rented a cabin in Wears Valley. I understand that the weekends can be crowded in the park- so I am looking for suggestions as to where to go and on what days. We will not be hiking, but will see cades cove, roaring fork motor trail, the reconstructed village in the park by the creek I can not remember the name, and there is another one on an unpaved road. I love covered bridges, small quaint towns with homemade arts and crafts, flea markets. I want to see the area where they have the elk herd- I am NOT familiar with this area of the park so I will need route and approx time. We will be taking picnics to eat in the park. One night we will visit Dixie Stampede and a hypnotist show(comedy). Also need tips on where to eat breakfast and supper . As well as places to buy picnic type items, or deli .

I know this is alot- but I appreciate your help and input.

Iowa
Level Contributor
1,447 posts
447 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 days to visit park and surrounding areas- suggestions ple

One possible wrench in the plans is that highway 441 through the park may not be open yet.

You will probably be able to see elk near the visitor's center at the south entrance of the park. Unfortunately, if the road is still closed it will mean quite the detour. Hopefully you'll luck out and the road will be open by then. Another area the elk are often spotted is Cataloochee. We didn't see any when we went, but we still thought it a worthwhile drive. You need to drive on a narrow and twisty road to get there. Have anyone prone to carsickness take Dramamine in advance of the drive (speaking from experience). I no longer remember the directions to get there, but I think we got our detailed directions from the NPS website.

For quaint towns, Townsend is a nice little town near the Cades Cove entrance. Also the main road through Wears Valley had what looked to be some cute crafty shops. I'm not much of a shopper though so I didn't pay attention to names and exact locations.

Two quaint towns on the North Carolina side of the park (which, again may be a problem to get to from Gatlinburg if Highway 441 is still closed) are Bryson City and Maggie Valley. You'll go right through Maggie Valley on the way to Cataloochee if you take 441. Bryson City has a few very short hikes nearby that lead to waterfalls.

Mountain Farm Museum is the reconstructed village. It's a few miles south of Cherokee. If you are interested in Native American history, the museum in Cherokee is interesting.

United States
Level Contributor
216 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 days to visit park and surrounding areas- suggestions ple

Might I suggest for dinner one night, go to The Old Mill Pottery House Cafe & Grille. Ask to sit out back in the courtyard. They have small waterfalls & a small koi fish pond. It is very pretty, especially at night. It is directly across the street from The Old Mill Restaurant. There are lots of little shops there to look around in. The Pottery House has a web page, with menu listed. http://www.oldmillsquare.com/cafe.htm Congratulations on your marriage! May you have a long, blessed life together!

Franklin, Ohio
Level Contributor
168 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 days to visit park and surrounding areas- suggestions ple

Near traffic light 10 in Gatlinburg there is Old Dad's General Store that carries anything you would need for a picnic, but the prices are probably higher than Walmart or Food City since it's one of the last stops before entering the national park. We always like to eat at the Old Mill Restaurant (great for breakfast or dinner). We also like Mel's Diner in Pigeon Forge for breakfast.

4. Re: 6 days to visit park and surrounding areas- suggestions ple

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, April 07, 2014