We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Memorial Day Weekend traffic

Which Pigeon Forge hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lorain, Ohio
8 posts
Save Topic
Memorial Day Weekend traffic

Any suggestions on travel for a small group of Harley riders coming in from the North on I 75 into Sevierville on Friday 5/26 memorial Day weekend? Will be staying at Oak Haven resort, hear it's really nice. And how bad will it be traveling from Sevierville to Gatlinburg that same weekend time wise? Thanks!

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
38,730 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Memorial Day Weekend traffic

If your final destination is Gatlinburg, follow I-40 east on around past Newport to exit #435 or #440 and come into Gatlinburg via Hwy 321. There is a very small amount of construction work on this road, but nothing like what's happening from Hwy 66 through Sevierville.

Do not attempt to reach Gatlinburg via Sevierville and P.F. via Hwy 66 from exit #407 off I-40. You'll be stuck sitting in traffic for literally hours coming this route, because of the bridge construction. Traffic will be extremely heavy for the holiday weekend anyway, but having the construction only multiplies the problem.

shubuta, ms
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Memorial Day Weekend traffic

Kat-cubs-fan, is the bridge construction between Sevierville and P.F, or on the other side of Sevierville? we're coming in on the 25th, and will use 321, but we need to pick up supplies at the Wal-Mart in Sevierville. Do you have any suggestions on how to go about this without it taking us all day? we should be getting into Gatlinburg around lunchtime... thanks for any advice you can give us!!!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Memorial Day Weekend traffic

If you take exit 435 off I-40 in Newport, there is a Super-Wal-mart right there.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,730 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Memorial Day Weekend traffic

The bridge construction is on Hwy 66 just before you enter Sevierville, so once you get past Sevierville and are heading into P.F., the traffic gets a little better.

The Sevierville Walmart is on the P.F. side of the road construction.

I'd do as the previous poster suggested and stop at the Walmart in Newport to get your supplies. You'll be much happier that you went there instead of trying to get to the one in Sevierville.

Louisville
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Memorial Day Weekend traffic

We're coming in the afternoon of Sunday the 28th. Will there be construction on Sunday. We were going to take exit 407 from I40 east and are staying in Pigeon Forge near light 3. Any suggestions on route to take.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,730 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Memorial Day Weekend traffic

There probably won't be actual men working on site that day, but the road is closed down to one lane in each direction for the entire duration of the project.

YOU WILL HAVE TRAFFIC PROBLEMS coming into town via Hwy 66. Do not come into town via exit 407 off I-40!!

jc tenn
Level Contributor
541 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Memorial Day Weekend traffic

I"m coming in on I-40 from the east. When 40 splits, do I go towards Asheville, or stay towards Knoxville to take the alternate route you mentioned? We're staying in PF, is this still the recommended route? We're arriving 5/30.

Thanks!

KC

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,730 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Memorial Day Weekend traffic

Anyone who is NOT coming from I-75 south of Knoxville or coming from I-40 West from the direction of Nashville would be better off taking exit #435 or #440 near Newport, TN from I-40 into the P.F./Gatlinburg area. This will put you on Hwy 321 into Gatlinburg, then you can take the spur road down to P.F. If you decide to take exit #432 before reaching Newport, you'll wind up on Hwy 411, but this leads you into Sevierville and into the main area of the traffic backups.

The exit #435/440 route won't be absolutely perfect for those heading to P.F. and it is a little out-of-the-way, but you will most likely save time and gas by going those few extra miles.

Alternative route, but much longer would be the following:

If you're on I-75 heading north from south of Knoxville, OR you are on I-40 heading east into Knoxville from the direction of Nashville, take the following:

1. On I-75 (north or south), take exit #81 into Lenoir City.

2. Turn toward the east from the exit ramp and you're on Hwy 321.

3. Follow Hwy 321 through town, across Ft. Loudon dam, and into Maryville.

4. Stay on Hwy 321 through Maryville and into Townsend.

5. Once in Townsend, look for the intersection where Hwy 321 turns left; take this left and follow the road through Wears Valley into Pigeon Forge.

9. Re: Memorial Day Weekend traffic

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 pm, August 13, 2009