We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hey Squatster3!

central Illinois
12 posts
Save Topic
Hey Squatster3!

We're almost neighbors! I live near Lincoln. I was wondering what routes you have taken to Pigeon Forge? What was the best or which is the fastest?

Our truck driver friend said to go south(I-55 to Route 4) and pick up 64 to Louisville. Someone else said 74 to Indy and down.

Got any ideas?

Thanks

pekin IL
Level Contributor
499 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hey Squatster3!

Hey there!! Yep, we're just down the road!! I've gone to PF on a number of routes, but the way I have found to be the quickest and less stressful is 74 east to just about Cincinnati, take the 275 by-pass, then 75 south to Knoxville, 640 by-pass around K-ville, then 40 east to PF. Have done the route thru IL to Paducah then on to Nashville, but that's way outta the way, at least for us. East to Indy, then down to Louisville isn't too bad, just that everytime we've gone thru L-ville the road construction has been horrendous, to put it mildly. The route we take is a nice trip, traffic isn't too bad, and seems shorter than the other 2. Plus, we've found a few antique stops along the way, nice way to get out and stretch. Hope this helps some, and THANKS for writing!!

pekin IL
Level Contributor
499 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hey Squatster3!

Kinda glossed over it, but I55 to route 4 to 64 is a GREAT way to head south, like for us to Mt Vernon, or Paducah. I know it doesn't look like it on the map, but it's MUCH faster than to Champaign, then down.

Michigan
Level Contributor
176 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hey Squatster3!

We took a new route to Pigeon Forge from Michigan this year to include a stop at the Louisville Bat Factory. That was really a neat trip and a cool place to stop. If you go the Louisville route you might want to include that stop! ...and the traffic and construction was a bear...

Laura in Michigan

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
2,102 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hey Squatster3!

YOU LIVE NEAR LINCOLMN? Lincoln Indianna? I am goin to be camping at lincoln state park and visitng holiday world in june. What else is there to see and do? any tips?

pekin IL
Level Contributor
499 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hey Squatster3!

Sorry, chasm, that's Lincoln, Illinois. First town in the US named for Abe BEFORE he became president. Okay, enough history lessons. Laura, thanks for the tip on Louisville Slugger. I just got off their website, who knew? That sounds too fun to miss. Appreciate the info!!

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
2,102 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hey Squatster3!

sorry about that.

central Illinois
12 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hey Squatster3!

Thanks squatster and Laura! Sorry I haven't been back sooner but we're planting beans and son's graduation next week-I'm hang'n on by a thread!!

Anyway, that's why we were looking at stopping in Louisville. Our son toured when he was there for FFA convention so everyone else wants to go now. Then maybe spending the night in Elizabethtown. Yes, our 13 y.o. dau. wants to go where the movie was made.

I wasn't sure if Route 4 being a 2 lane road would slow us down too much.

Chasm, sorry about the confusion but if you want to know about Lincoln or Springfield IL I'd be glad to help.

Thanks Again!

pekin IL
Level Contributor
499 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hey Squatster3!

Route 4 is a good road. Only problem is if you get stuck behind a few semi trucks. The road is a favorite short cut for the truckers, and if 2 or 3 get together it can be hard to pass 'em. Only downfall about the route, other than that it's a good way to lop off some time.

Chasm, one of these days I'll have to pick your brain about Chattanooga. Not next month's trip, but sometime when we're in the Smokies, we want to spend some time down your way. We've only driven thru the city, but we want to explore it when time permits....

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
2,102 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hey Squatster3!

^ to explore Chattanooga and have enough tim eto be satisfied youll need 2 or 3 days at least.

Pic away whenever your ready

10. Re: Hey Squatster3!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 pm, August 12, 2009