We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grocery shopping and cabin cooking for diabetic daughter

central Illinois
12 posts
Save Topic
Grocery shopping and cabin cooking for diabetic daughter

Everyone here is so wonderful so I hope you can help with this!

I've seen there is a Kroger and Wal-Mart nearby but I was wondering if there were pretty large chains? We have diabetic daughter (and very picky) and I'm unsure about bringing special food (like her Bunny Bread and other sugar free products) or if we can get it there. We live in rural area and our local stores don't carry much of it either.

Also when they say "stocked kichen" in these rental cabin is it pretty minimal? What would you suggest we bring with us?

Any and all suggestions are appreciated! Thanks again to everyone!

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
41,947 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grocery shopping and cabin cooking for diabetic daughter

I don't think you'll have any trouble finding specialty food for a diabetic at the local groceries like Kroger, Food City, Walmart, etc.

There are many people who live in the area locally and need these type of foods as well. If you don't find what you're looking for, ask a local person.

I've found the definition of terms like "stocked kitchens" means different things depending on who's involved. You'll have the basic fridge, stove, microwave, pots and pans, and some utensils, but as for other things, who knows.

I'd call the management company you're renting from and ask them specifically what is included.

Roselle Park, New...
Level Contributor
2,467 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grocery shopping and cabin cooking for diabetic daughter

Hi,

my 2 year old daughter is also diabetic and we will be taking our first trip to Gatlinburg in August. Its going to be very hard im sure but we will have to do our best and try not to worry. We wont be staying in a cabin but hotel. I am relying on my fast food calorie & carb book and will have to judge alot. I will be bringing some things with me (if its not refrigerated or frozen you may as well just bring it from home just to be on the safe side). I will be bringing many of the non-refrigerated items with us and a few things that could be kept in a cooler on the way there. Many people have diabetes so I dont think there would be a problem getting some special foods at the local markets.

Lin