We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge

Ohio
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge

Arriving in the area in June 2006. Please give me some feedback on what is good for kids ages 11 and 6. Do not want to focus on what might seem nice and fun and then pay an extremely high fee for something you can get anywhere. Restaurants as well. Doesn't necessarily have to be cheap, but w/7 nights there, don't want to spend $100 a night on dinner. Thanks.

Janice F

OHIO

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
2,102 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge

Well as far as fun things to do, fun things are everywhere and everyhting in Pigeon forge adn gatlinburg is expensive. It will be obvious once you get there what is unique and such.

I am assuming itll be you your spouce and teh two children you mentioned. Well I hate to say it but 100 a night sounds about right for dinner at most places in that area. Though you may find places around 50 to 100

Michigan
Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge

I have an 11 year old over my shoulder saying go to:

Nascar speedpark (the kids can get a ride all day wrist band for about $12 with a coupon from one of the MANY books you will find in motel lobby, welcome ctr, etc...The first Tennessee Welcome center on 75 is a nice one for all sorts of coupons-including ones we haven't been able to find in town!)

Nascar Cafe (I love the salads)

Old MacDonald's putt putt golf & Professor Hacker's putt putt golf are great.

We mined for gems last year (that can be as expensive or as cheap as you want it to be). We went to Black Bear Jamboree and the tickets had coupons for a free bag of mining stuff at a place down town.

We go to Dollywood every year, Dolly's Splash Country is neat too. You can get combo passes at either gate and dicount tickets for Dollywood at most motels. Dixie Stampede is a great dinner show.

Ripley's Aquarium in Gattlinburg is really neat. If you stay in PF you can take trolleys to Gattlinburg (much cheaper than paying for parking...if you can even find a place!)

There is also a nice community center. We went there to bowl on a rainy day last year. We also went to the caverns last year for the first time. That was neat.

Of course there is also nature, and lots of places to explore in the mountains and National Park.

Have a great time!!

Laura in Michigan (lived in Ohio for a couple of years)

Michigan
Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge

OOPS, I forgot Smokies Baseball!! We try to go to a game every year as well. You can check on the games on their website (www.smokiesbaseball.com) and what kind of special events they have. We went last year on July 4th for the fireworks...very nice!...it was also $1 hot dog night! Tickets aren't very expensive, and there are coupons in the booklets at the welcome centers (or AAA discount if you have a card.)

MAny of the restaurants are chain ones. Calhoun's was nice, expensive, but nice. They were also working on a couple new ones this summer - Bullfish Grill (or something like that) and an Italian one that I hadn't heard of before.

Ohio
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge

I appreciate all the input on the restaurants. Hubby asked if there were regular chain restaurants as well?

Bowling Green...
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge

Yes, there are tons of Chain Restaurants ..

From Burger King to O'Charleys.

Here is a list of some in PF.

www.mypigeonforge.com/Restaurants_list.asp

Bowling Green...
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge

In Gatlinburg you can find McDonalds, Pizza Hut, Texas Roadhouse, Shoneys, Hard Rock Cafe and the list goes on.

Mason, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge

Janicef,There are tons of fast food type restaurants.I am not sure why inb Ohio You live but you will find the same type places like Mcdonalds,wendys,Kfc,pizza hut,and if you like White castle try Krystals hamburgers it is the southern version of our white castle.I do not think it is as good but we still always get it anytime we go to the south.Mr Gatti's pizza is a pizza buffet with pizza,pasta,dessert,and drinks.It is like Chuck e cheese but cheaper.There is also Shoney's which is okay.O'charley's,applebe's ,Fridays,burger king,and Golden coral.Tons of good breakfast type pancake houses.

Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge

Our grandkids love the Rainforest adventure...they got to hold a live python (or maybe a boa). They were 7 and 4. They also enjoyed it when we went on a hike. This year they say they want a strenuous one. We did Grotto Falls, where the kids could get in behind the waterfall. They always like the drive to Cade's Cove. It is a long trip, but we got to see tons of whitetails (guess that's not unusual for Ohio...but some big bucks were too), wild turkey, coyotes and a bear. (Wow, a bear. Don't count on the latter two though...we just lucked out.) The boys also enjoyed going into the old church & we read them sayings on tombstones from the cemetary. We walked to a couple of the old cabins...I believe Bud Ogle was the one we liked best...about 1/2 one way. None of that costs money except the rain forest and it was all fun. Year before last we did a helicopter ride. And we almost always go to Dollywood. Some of the hotels have 2 day tickets for the price of one day. Several restaurants have lower prices for kids. We like The Chop House in Sevierville at Governor's Crossing. The atmosphere is good and the food great but prices are kind of high. There are lots of chain restaurants too.

Brantford, Ontario...
Level Contributor
111 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge

Hey JaniceF. Thanks for responding to my post. We rented a cabin through Timber Creek cabin rentals called Backwoods. I read a couple of positive reviews about them here, but that's all I really know about them. Hope it's nice, cause it's a long way back home to Canada.

Northwest Ohio
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge

We are from Ohio as well, and I have taken many trips to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge/Sevierville area - as a child and now w/ my own two children. My parents own a cabin at Oak Haven Resort in Sevierville (wonderful area w/ pool, playgrounds, spa, hiking, beautiful cabins...).

While PG/Galtinburg are very touristy, we try to avoid many of the traps since we've been many times, but you do get that when you are in town.

I would recommend taking at least one hike and enjoying the natural part of the area. Beautiful scenery and wonderful hikes. We also like Grotto Falls and Rainbow Falls hikes.

Anyone with or without kids would enjoy the Dixie Stampede dinner show in PF. It's a combination of music, rodeo, trick-riding, singing show in a huge arena...all with a fabulous, multi-course, filling meal which you eat w/ your hands (the kids LOVE this).

Also, there are many go-cart tracks. We like The Track and Nascar in PF best. Fun family times and great for your kids' ages.

A big must-do when we are in Gatlin. is Hillbilly Golf. Yes, sounds corny, but you ride a tram up the side of the mountain and golf down the mountain among the trees, antique farm machinery, etc. It's fun, not too expensive and a way to play mini golf w/out being on the main strip w/ all the obnoxious oversize dinosaur replicas you see at some of the mini golf places.