We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dollywood Vacations

Which Pigeon Forge hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Colorado
7 posts
Save Topic
Dollywood Vacations

Has anyone rented any of the cabins from Dollywood Vacation Rentals? Did you find things as advertised? We are in our 50's with my son, daughter-in-law and three grandchildren ages 11, 7 & 5 and are wanting to make sure we all have a great experience. We're looking at An Escape to the View, Born to be Wild, A Five Starr Retreat, Serenity and Birds Eye View cabins. Thanks for your input.

Based on the info I received on other forums, here's what I've found out so far: Thanks for the info. I searched for dollywood vacations and some have mentioned the same things as you, overpriced, etc. The more I look the more confused I get. There are so many properties available. What attracted me to the Dollywood vacations though was the 10% discount for military which my son is, and the fact that you get unlimited access to Dollywood after purchasing the one day ticket and free access to Spash Park for a day and the free/reserved parking when there. Those alone would cost my family $500+ with the miliatry discount if purchased by itself. I'm also reading that Dollywood is very expensive (food/drink/activity wise) so we're thinking about skipping that on this trip since there are so many other things to do in the area. Thanks again!

and here's another post from dawgcentral:

3. Re: Dollywood Vacation Rentals

Apr 23, 2011, 5:11 PM

While I haven't stayed in those particular cabins, by the names it looks as though they are in Starrcrest Resort, and we did take the grandkids and stay there once.

The resort is very close to Dollywood and Splashworld, so that's convenient. It's also near the parkway, so the Old Mill and other places to eat are just minutes away.

The pool at that resort is very small. People have been known to complain about that. The pool is also at/near the bottom of the resort, with very hilly roads. The playground is closer to the top of the resort.

Not sure how you have found the pricing for lodging when it comes to Dollywood Vacations, and whatever packages they might be offering, but I've never been able to find a package that I couldn't beat simply booking by myself. They send me emails all the time, and I have yet to see one I would snatch up.

taylorsmommi
Level Contributor
663 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dollywood Vacations

I have not used dollywood vacation rentals but the cabins are i. Starrcrest resort and i have stayed there in the past. It is a great location and the cabins there are really nice.

United Kingdom
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Dollywood Vacations

I stayed in Beary special which is a great cabin with one of the best views,

it has a double bed down stairs , one double bed upstairs and a pull out sofa bed. There is also a great play area at the end of the road!

Amory, Mississippi
Level Contributor
129 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dollywood Vacations

While we haven't stayed in the cabins you listed, we have only stayed at Starr Crest Resort since first coming to the area in 2006.

I can say that "A Five Starr Retreat" has a great view and is located in a cul-de-sac just off Lone Eagle Drive facing Mt LeConte.

Another cabin with a great view is Beverly's Bearadise. I remember it being beside the cabin we are renting this fall.

paintsville ky
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dollywood Vacations

I wouldn't skip Dollywood. because it is a great park and it's no more expensive than going to one of the shows. just a thought. enjoy your vacation.

Edited: 8:47 pm, September 10, 2011
Mississippi
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dollywood Vacations

Like the original poster, I have yet to see where there is any cost advantage in booking through Dollywood Vacations. I had hoped with the purchase of the properties that Dollywood would be able to offer some packages that were more desirable, and even though I check periodically, and am currently on their mailing list, I can book separately and get a preferable deal.

This is not an issue for me, since we don't visit Dollywood on every venture to the Smokies, yet I have booked at Starr Crest Resort on one occasion. While the location of the resort is ideal for Dollywood, Splash Country, and other venues within Pigeon Forge, it's proximity in no way is a "deal maker" that justifies even a minimal up charge in lodging and attractions.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
228 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dollywood Vacations

There are many beautiful cabins in Starr Crest you can rent on VRBO much cheaper and they have all the needed amenities plus you can deal directly with the owner. You will save a bundle---believe me.

paintsville ky
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dollywood Vacations

I have heard some bad things about renting from the owners, they usually don't live in the area and it's hard to get anything taken care of it something tears up. That's why I would rather rent from a company. they have staff that can take care of anything that may happen.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
228 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dollywood Vacations

You heard wrong! A lot of the owners live closer than the folks who pay the rental companies to run their show. I gave up on rental companies years ago because they are mostly--not all---non caring folks who couldn't help you if their life depended on it. Face it, they rent cabins that do not belong to them and really have little or no interest in service after the sale. A lot of them I dealt with were downright rude! On the contrary, owners I have dealt with take pride in their investment and take care of things. I receive much better service from owners than the rental folks. They have local maintenance and cleaning people the same as the rental companies ,yet the service I have received when needed has been much better from the owners. A lot of people use rental companies because they think it is easier. What they fail to realize is that it's more expensive(someone has to pay for their "service") and they are selling you something they actually know little or nothing about. The owners I have dealt with over the years are very honest and will answer all and every question you have concerning their property. It takes a little homework but it sure pays off in the long run.

paintsville ky
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dollywood Vacations

sorry diggy but you must have been dealing with the wrong company. We have always used Hidden Mountain and they have always been great. We stayed there last Christmas and got 7 inches of snow they came around and checked on us to see if we needed food or anything and cleaned our steps and even cleaned out to my car.

They even had their own jeeps and they plowed and salted the roads. I heard many people on TA that got stuck for days and no one to help them.so I was sooooooo glad to have such a caring company that really takes care of their customers.I guess it's who you rent from.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
228 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dollywood Vacations

You are right, it's who you rent from. I stated that not all companies are bad, it's just that in my experiences over the years, my rentals through VRBO all over the country ,by far, outweigh the rentals I tried through companies. I wish everybody good luck in their hunt for the perfect rental.