We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bed bugs in PF?

Which Pigeon Forge hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
745 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Bed bugs in PF?

We have been seeing the news and they say Bed Bug are making a large comeback in popular travel spots.They say they are in theaters, restruants and lodging. Has anyone had problems with them in PF? We have been comming up for the last 3 years at Christmas and have not seen any but I wanted to check before our Christmas trip this year.

Bartlett, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,439 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bed bugs in PF?

OOO I would think that washing the linens in hot water would help get rid of them.I also would take a can of Lysol and spray the bed.Ive never had any problems with them before in the area but I have seen pictures on here (Not in Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg) of people having bug bites all over them and there children.From what ive read they are mainly in the lower class motels and older motels.But im sure they could be just about anywhere.The thought of them make me itch,lol.I would take some Lysol just in case.I have often wondered about Fleas in cabins too and have took my dog to Gatlinburg a few times but never had any problems with fleas.Before we travel with our poochie we make sure he has a bath and then put Frontline on him to be on the safe side.

I would think if the cabin rental compaines are cleaning the cabins good that should help keep them to a minium.

Bartlett, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,439 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bed bugs in PF?

Here's a video on Bed Bug's that was on Yahoo News today.Looks like heat and washing clothes,bedding in HOT water kills them.Lets pray that housekeeping in the area is using hot water to kill them.BTY great thread for people.Something to think about.Thanks KETTERMN.

…yahoo.com/video/us-15749625/bedbugs-attack-…

Edited: 1:09 pm, September 20, 2010
Alabama
Level Contributor
1,893 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bed bugs in PF?

Check the mattress creases when you get there. Look for black or brown spots. The bugs themselves won't be easy to see. They hide in the mattress so washing the sheets will only kill the ones on the sheets, and Lysol kills germs not bed bugs. I would certainly ask about them when you check in. They tend to bite in 3's. 3 bites in a row or 3 bites in like a triangle.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,466 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bed bugs in PF?

There have been several stories about the bed bug epidemic on our local news lately. There have been clothes stores (high end stores such as Abercrombie and Victoria Secret's) in New York, hotels and apartment buildings and even movie theatres throughout the US. The building does not have to be older or dirty to have bed bugs. If a tenant lives in an apartment with a neighbor that brings home bed bugs from vacation, it can spread throughout the building. They go on vacation to a brand new four star hotel and boom, that room has bed bugs. The news said to not put your clothes in a drawer or to set your luggage on the floor. Try to use a luggage rack. Wash your clothes in hot water and put the dryer on high heat. If you suspect you were exposed to bed bugs, you have to call in a professional to exterminate.

Lakelady2451
Level Contributor
310 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bed bugs in PF?

Someone mentioned in another forum that they put their luggage in the bathtub until the beds were thoroughly checked. Then they put the luggage on the luggage racks and only hung their clothes as the rest remained in their suitcases.

Edited: 10:58 pm, September 20, 2010
Mobile, AL
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bed bugs in PF?

I found this site yesterday on Tripadvisor in North Carolina.

http://bedbugregistry.com/

This morning on NBC there was a story on bedbugs. All I know is that I do not want them!!!

Jane

Virginia
Level Contributor
621 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bed bugs in PF?

We just got back from a stay in a fairly nice hotel in PF we still were very thorough in checking for bedbugs before we unpacked anything. Pull back the sheets and check in all crevices in the mattress. Also check the couches, chairs etc. They can be found in any hotels, its based on the people who stay there not the cleanliness of the hotel. And they are very hard to get rid of. An exterminator that we talked to said that its even hard for them to get rid of them.

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
745 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bed bugs in PF?

Here is some good information I found on this web page.

…wordpress.com/2008/…

Kentucky
Level Contributor
740 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bed bugs in PF?

Kettermn, thanks for the web site. I see that there are 2 hotels listed in Gatlinburg. We are going next week and will be checking the beds before we take our things in. No one wants to take these little pests home with them.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
480 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bed bugs in PF?

This excerpt is from the University of Kentucky and mentions many of the things being talked about here. I think it's interesting that they say checking your hotel room for bed bugs was "a common practice in the past." I don't ever remember that as a child when we stayed in hotel rooms, but maybe we didn't know better? I think the important thing here is that we don't become part of the problem, transporting bed bugs to our homes and beyond.

"Concerned travelers may want to get in the habit of checking their bed for signs of bed bugs, a common practice in the past. This would entail examining the bed sheets and upper and lower seams of the mattress and box spring, especially along the head of the bed. Some professionals also suggest removal and examination behind the headboard, a frequent hiding place for the bugs in hotel rooms. Headboards are heavy and cumbersome, however, and untrained persons should not attempt removal themselves. If bed bugs are discovered, travelers can request another room, preferably in another area of the building. Vigilant travelers may also want to elevate suitcases off the floor on a luggage stand, tabletop or other hard surface. Should travelers experience itchy welts suggestive of bed bug bites during their stay, it would be prudent upon returning home (before unpacking) to place all clothing in disposable plastic bags and directly into the washer and/or dryer. Inspecting or vacuuming luggage upon arrival home is less useful since it’s hard to spot bed bugs inside a suitcase. The suitcase itself can either be treated or discarded.

The incidence of bed bugs in the United States is increasing to the point where vigilance by all is a prudent practice. Familiarity can help to avoid infestation, or at least prompt earlier intervention by a professional."

Get answers to your questions about Pigeon Forge