We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rod Run Traffic??

Birmingham, AL
1 post
Save Topic
Rod Run Traffic??

Hi~I'm planning a trip to the Smokies the weekend of 9/16. I checked the events calendar, and learned that my hopes of a nice quiet early-fall anniversary trip to the mountains may be ruined by the Fall Rod Run show in Pigeon Forge!!! I know from growing up in East TN (a little farther South now...) that it makes bad traffic in the area particularly bad....is that still the case?? I seem to recall a few 4 hour trips into Pigeon Forge as a child?? And does the traffic mainly stick in PF, or does it take over the entire area? I'm content to stay in the mountians and never hit the strips, but I know we'll want to venture down there at some point!

Thanks for any input!!

USA
Level Contributor
2,218 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Rod Run Traffic??

Why don't you stay in Townsend or at the upper end (near the Park Entrance) in Gatlinburg--or maybe on Ski Mountain?

That way you can come to Gatlinburg from Townsend through the GSMNP and avoid Pigeon Forge. Gatlinburg traffic may be bad too, so you want to stay near the upper end of the town to avoid that as well.

If you stay on Ski Mountain (or one of the hotels at the upper end of Gatlinburg or next to the Aquarium, you should take the Gatlinburg Bypass from Highway 321 in the GSMNP (just about a mile before you reach G-burg.)

You can then get off the Gatlinburg Bypass onto Ski Mountain (or Willey Oakly Drive, if you are staying next to the aquarium) and avoid the traffic on the main street (Parkway).

Just get a good local map and figure out your entrance ahead of time!

Laurel In.
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Rod Run Traffic??

Tricia, Please take this advice !! Stay Away from the area at this time tried it 2 times Never Again!! Nightmare !! Traffic and Parking in the whole area is the Worst We have ever seen in any place at any time !! ann

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Rod Run Traffic??

Tricia - are you staying in Gatlinburg or P. Forge?

There are other ways into G-burg completely away from P. Forge. They may be croweded too - but not like Forge.

Let me know if you want directions.

smokiesgrl