We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone have a packing list for week at a cabin?

Which Pigeon Forge hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Orleans
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Topic
Anyone have a packing list for week at a cabin?

I was trying to generate a list for our family's five night stay at a cabin starting next weekend and it occurred to me that someone might already have one. If you'd be willing to share, please let me know. This will be our first family vaca besides beach trips, so I'm afraid I'll forget something.

Thanks!

Amanda

New Orleans, LA

Illinois
Level Contributor
942 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone have a packing list for week at a cabin?

There was a whole forum a few weeks back about packing lists, I'll see if I can find it for you.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
39,428 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone have a packing list for week at a cabin?

I don't have a full list, but here's some items I would never travel without when I'm heading to a rental place like a cabin (especially if I'm going to be cooking alot):

Bug spray (both for mosquitos and ants/roaches),

Sunscreen,

Huge can of Lysol ( and I hose down the entire place),

my own pillow and even comforter,

paper towels,

dish drainer,

dish washing detergent,

laundry detergent; fabric softner; dryer sheets,

large fan (for both noise and air circulation),

100 watt light bulbs (in case the ones in the bathroom are too dim),

pasta strainer,

measuring cups and spoons,

cork screw,

can/bottle opener,

scissors,

duct tape,

blue ice to take in the cooler on outings.

I know I'm missing some things I usually take, but maybe this will be a good start for you.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
39,428 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone have a packing list for week at a cabin?

Oh, just thought of another item: DVD player.

Illinois
Level Contributor
942 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone have a packing list for week at a cabin?

shoegal...go back to page 15, and start with "Yellaboy's" post titled "Packing for PF Trip"June 23, 2007. Lots of suggestions on that forum.

Grove City, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,533 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone have a packing list for week at a cabin?

Don't forget the U-haul trailer to haul all of the stuff listed with you.

Sheridan, Indiana
Level Contributor
191 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone have a packing list for week at a cabin?

Candles and flashlights, just in case a power outage

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
459 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone have a packing list for week at a cabin?

here's another list from the Gatlinburg Forum: while you probably want need all she has listed it does give a good idea of what to take.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60842-i150-k12073…

Sidney, Ohio
Level Contributor
60 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone have a packing list for week at a cabin?

Our cabin was equipped very well. I took my own coffee and filters. They do not supply this. Then I looked to see what they had and went to the grocery store and bought what we needed. Ours had a pasta strainer and outdoor grill. All the dishes needed too. I would take some laundry detergent as they only give you enough towels for 1 day and you have to wash them or trek to the office to exchange them. I would take soaps, shampoos etc. They did have dish soap and dishwasher detergent but not all might.

The bed was so comfortable and clean. We didn't take our own bedding as the bedding was clean. We stayed at a cabin in Cedar Falls and it was wonderful.

Illinois
Level Contributor
942 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone have a packing list for week at a cabin?

I like to take my crockpot ...that way I can prepare a meal in the morning and have it ready when we get "home" at night.....saves a few $ too. Also, we take our own pillows ( just because we are used to them), don't forget a first aid kit of some kind ( I keep our medical history, Dr. & family phone #'s in ours, just in case) and a small emergency car repair kit with a few tools, duct tape, and carry a couple gallons of water....nightlights for the kids rooms, a blanket, quilt or tablecloth for picnics. at home and bringing it with you if you have room. Phone cell chargers, extra photo chips for you camera...it's charging dock if it has one, extra paper goods, especially TP..that stuff in the cabins is like sandpaper ! Course, if you forget something, Walmart is close by.

TIP: food/snacks are high in PF because of the high taxes, you might consider buying that stuff at home and bringing it with you if you have room.

Don't forget to keep a few trash bags and wet wipes in your car, not only for the trip but also to clean up after picnics.

Take comfortable, but sturdy shoes for everyone...you will do a lot of walking....especially if you do some trails in the park....flip flops and sandals won't work...stick to your tennies !

New Orleans
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Anyone have a packing list for week at a cabin?

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I do hope we won't need candles or a flashlight-- it looks like we may be dodging a hurricane while we're on vacation anyway!

Amanda

New Orleans, LA