We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying Downtown Verses Close to Vandy.

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
884 posts
286 reviews
Save Topic
Staying Downtown Verses Close to Vandy.

We have never been to Nashville, and are starting to research possibly coming up in September. I have run into a couple of questions. Is it worth paying the higher rates on the hotels in the downtown area verses out of the downtown area. The hotels here seem to be higher priced for no apparent reason. From what I have found out so far, you will pretty much need to drive to most of the attractions anyway, so I don't see the advantage. Also are most of the better clubs located in the same area as Tootsie's, or are they strung out all over town. Is there a place that I can find out the schedule for performances at the Grand Ole Opry. Thanks in Advance.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
205 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying Downtown Verses Close to Vandy.

I used to stay downtown but now - last two years have stayed in Vanderbilt, Home2 suites, find the prices much better and free shuttle van to downtown, there's also a good bar scene in Vandy along Division and Broadway. yes nearly all the "clubs" or honky tonks are located together or across the street. and try here for schedule http://www.opry.com/calendar

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
3,360 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying Downtown Verses Close to Vandy.

Nashville is like any downtown of a major city in the world - the closer you are to the core, the more you will pay. The Hall of Fame, Ryman, State Museum, State Capitol, the honky tonks and bars of Broadway, Frist Center for the Arts and an assortment of other notable spots are all walking distance to most downtown hotels - hence the higher rates.

Vanderbilt/West End is a good alternative. You will be between 1-2 miles from the heart of downtown and many of the hotels have shuttles to that area (their times vary though, check with the hotel before booking) and there are some great restaurants and bars in that area. The Holiday Inn Vanderbilt became my go-to recommendation to friends and family who came to visit and they never had anything but positive stays there.

3. Re: Staying Downtown Verses Close to Vandy.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 17, 2015