We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Conference at Gaylord Palms…where to stay?

Lutz, FL
Level Contributor
412 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Conference at Gaylord Palms…where to stay?

I'm headed to a conference at the Gaylord Palms in June and want to visit family in Franklin while also checking out downtown. I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express across from GP last year for another conference, and while it was a good experience, I am not sure that I want to stay in that area again since there really isn't much to do at night and I don't want to stay at the GP because the rates and fees are ridiculous. Does anyone have any good suggestions on places to stay in between? Any up and coming neighborhoods that may have a neat B&B within walking distance of some pubs and such? I'm okay with chains but prefer something a little more off-beat if it's out there. Thanks for the help!

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
925 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Conference at Gaylord Palms…where to stay?

Gaylord Opryland, maybe? I think the GP is in Florida. You'll get better rates & be fairly close to Opryland if you stay near the airport - however, there's not much in that area for nightlife. The West End/Vandy area is convenient to restaurants & bars, but is on the opposite side of town from the Gaylord. Check out the "What area of town should I stay in" question in the FAQ and some of the recent forum threads as well.

Lutz, FL
Level Contributor
412 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Conference at Gaylord Palms…where to stay?

You're right, GP is in Orlando. Somehow I always get them confused. It was Gaylord Opryland that I visited last year for my conference as well. It's a beautiful property, and the conference this year does have a pre-negotiated rates there, but when you add the rate plus resort and parking fees, it ends up not being that great of a break. That's why I was thinking about staying elsewhere and driving in each day. How bad would the commute be from downtown (Printers Alley area) to the Opryland area each day if I decided to stay over there?

Lutz, FL
Level Contributor
412 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Conference at Gaylord Palms…where to stay?

Okay, so read the other thread you mentioned. Looks like a 15-20 minute commute from Downtown to the Opryland area, so I'm guessing I can bank on an hours drive (give or take a few minutes) for the same distance during rush hour for an 8am class?

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,574 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Conference at Gaylord Palms…where to stay?

I don't think it will take you an hour to drive from Printer's Alley to Opryland unless there is a major accident. Remember, the bulk of traffic will be inbound to downtown Nashville while you will be heading outbound. I'd give it about 30 minutes but check google maps for real time traffic reports when you get up that morning!

Music City, USA
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
3,382 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Conference at Gaylord Palms…where to stay?

30 tops. 15-20 sounds about right. Going against the rush hour direction means it's a non-factor.

3rd Ave to James Robertson Parkway will take you over the river to Ellington Parkway. Take that to Briley Parkway to McGavock Pike to get to the hotel. You'll be going against traffic the whole way.

Tip: you can park for free if you park at the Opry Mills mall and walk through to the hotel. You'll park on the movie theater end of the mall as close to the green-roofed building that sits in between the mall and the hotel as you can get. Walk by that green-roofed building (there's a big wide walkway there) and it will take you in to the Delta section of the hotel which is where most of the hotel's conventions are held.

Lutz, FL
Level Contributor
412 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Conference at Gaylord Palms…where to stay?

Thanks so much for all the replies. We ended up booking in the 12 South area, which I'm looking forward too. Looks like it's close to downtown with a quick cab ride and that it's a pretty walkable with good eats by its own right. Any must sees, eats, bars that we shouldn't miss while we're there? Also, any good vegetarian restaurants in the area that we should check out?

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,574 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Conference at Gaylord Palms…where to stay?

Mafiozas is an Italian restaurant in the 12 South area that is wonderful - that should satisfy the vegetarian meal. Las Paletas has some creative and eclectic frozen treats. If you want to be carnivorous for a night, Edley's BBQ is excellent. 12 South Taproom, right next to Mafiozas has tons of beers and a fun crowd. I personally feel that Burger Up is a bit overrated IMO, but it is a trendy spot and they have some creative burgers.

8. Re: Conference at Gaylord Palms…where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, June 06, 2015