We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nashville advice please

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Nashville advice please

Hi all

I am planning a 3 week trip across America next year 2015. I will be in Nashville for 3 nights.

I know this seems very organised to be asking now, however I really want to make the best of this trip and as we are on a budget I am beginning planning early, so we can book everything next January. I am a huge country music fan so for me this is going to be one of the most exciting places to visit. I would like to visit the following places - Country music hall of fame and museum, Grand Ole Opry, Musicians hall of fame and museum, Centennial Park and Ryman Auditorium. Then in the evenings a few country bars and if possible the bluebird cafe.

My question is as we are staying in budget accommodation for example, comfort inn type motels which area is best to stay in? There are some down-town but also in the Opry area. I know cabs will be needed but I was hoping to keep that to a minimum as we will have a rental car.

Also my husband is not a country fan so any blues bar suggestions would be welcome

Thanks in advance for your help

Mentioned in this post
Nashville
Nashville
Davidson County, TN
Grand Ole Opry
Grand Ole Opry
10,373 Reviews
Nashville, TN
Musicians Hall of Fame and Museum
Musicians Hall of Fame...
643 Reviews
Nashville, TN
Centennial Park
Centennial Park
1,702 Reviews
Nashville, TN
Ryman Auditorium
Ryman Auditorium
10,298 Reviews
Nashville, TN
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
12,073 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nashville advice please

We liked staying DT because we could walk to many things. And if we wanted to go to some bars in the evening, no one had to refrain from drinking to be the designated driver.

The Best Western DT (6th & Union, IIRC) was convenient and reasonably priced. The staff were great, and I liked having a coffee maker, microwave, and frig in the room.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,918 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nashville advice please

Best Western is a good economy choice downtown, but if you have a car and are on a strict budget, you can certainly expand your search to outlying areas. Downtown Nashville is pretty plentiful with reasonable parking garages and also has metered street parking (which is free after 6pm and on Sundays). The West End area is 1-1.5 miles from the heart of the city and may be a bit cheaper than the downtown core. The airport, Opryland and Brentwood areas are also cheaper options, albeit a 10-15 minute drive from the city.

You may want to check out the bars off Division St - Tin Roof, The Row, etc., typically have non-country acts and then the Exit Inn is a great music venue that has alternative/rock acts. Rebar, Winners, Losers and Blue Bar are all very fun bars in the area but typically do not have live acts. The crowd in this area is typically aged 21-30 due to the proximity to Vanderbilt University.

Station Inn in the Gulch has plenty of bluegrass acts (which probably leans more towards country roots than he would prefer).

Have plenty of one and five dollar bills on hand as the musicians live off their tips and be sure to have one of you designated the sober driver each night if you plan on having a few drinks!

Mentioned in this post
Downtown Nashville
Downtown Nashville
7,707 Reviews
Nashville, TN
Brentwood
Brentwood
Tennessee
Tin Roof
Tin Roof
358 Reviews
Nashville, TN
Vanderbilt University
Vanderbilt University
277 Reviews
Nashville, TN
Station Inn
Station Inn
271 Reviews
Nashville, TN
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nashville advice please

Thanks both.

Is public transport good in nashville like could we get a bus to and from the opry?

Do they run all night?

Any tips for breakfast and dinners or is it best to eat in the bars?

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,918 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nashville advice please

For dining, you're unlikely to find many bars downtown that have a full food menu - restaurants are definitely the way to go. I would suggest looking through some of the previous messages on the board regarding restaurant recommendations - Nashville has a terrific food scene with dining for just about any taste.

The Nashville MTA bus system is pretty good and the Music City Central bus station is only a few blocks north of the downtown core. You can view their schedules by visiting http://www.nashvillemta.org/ and determine if the line closest to your hotel can accommodate you.

Mentioned in this post
Nashville
Nashville
Davidson County, TN
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nashville advice please

Thank you, are there any particular bars/attractions not on my list that I should definitely visit???

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,918 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nashville advice please

I think the bars and honky tonks up and down Broadway should keep you quite occupied! You may also want to check out Printer's Alley for a little more of an adult themed area!

Mentioned in this post
Printer's Alley
Printer's Alley
417 Reviews
Nashville, TN
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nashville advice please

Thanks so much.

Is it easy to get into the Bluebird cafe or will i need to reserve a table, I was thinking early evening so we could be back on broadway for the night time???

Mentioned in this post
The Bluebird Cafe
The Bluebird Cafe
776 Reviews
Nashville, TN
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,918 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nashville advice please

You will want to get a reservation in advance for Bluebird.

Mentioned in this post
The Bluebird Cafe
The Bluebird Cafe
776 Reviews
Nashville, TN
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nashville advice please

Thank you so much, its been so much help being part of the forum, I hope people are as helpful when i ask for help with the other cities on my tour.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,918 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nashville advice please

TA in general is very helpful. There are some forums you will get know it alls and those who won't help unless you ask just the right question, but 99% of the folks on here genuinely want to help. I was forced to move from Nashville for a job and this forum is, in a silly way, my opportunity to stay connected with the city I fell in love with!

Mentioned in this post
Nashville
Nashville
Davidson County, TN