We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

adding a couple days to a business trip

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
244 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
adding a couple days to a business trip

hello, I will be in town for business early June and hotel was picked by company, Sheraton Music City. It looks like it is closest to the airport and not much else. My spouse will be joining me for a couple of days and we will have a car then, should we stay somewhere else for those 2 nights? I have been searching trip advisor a few days and don't want to wait much longer to make a reservation. I was looking at Hampton Inn/Vanderbilt on West End due to price and reviews, I would love to stay at the Hermitage but expensive! so, just wondering where to stay at this point. looks like downtown is expensive, have to pay for parking at hotel, plus could be noisy. we are in our 50's, want a clean, nice, quiet place. we will be going to Grand Ole Opry one night, Country Music Hall of Fame next day, downtown to bars next night, these are our ideas. Ryman would be cool too but we can't do it all in this short amount of time. when I am at hotel for work, won't have a car so may just stay there, is there anywhere close by to walk to for dinner? thanks for any help.

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,720 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: adding a couple days to a business trip

First of all, I don't think noise will be a problem downtown. This si the second post to that effect this week, and I can say that I don;pt ever think I've heard of a visitor who stayed downtown complaining about noise while they were trying to sleep.

Yes, the Hermitage is wonderful and expensive, it would be my first choice if it was close to my price range.

Your activities do seem to be centered around downtown, so staying there makes sense, but IMO, the Midtown/Vanderbilt area is good too. The Loews, The Hutton & the Marriott are probably the top tier in the area, you may have to pay for parking at these 3 though. The area is a short (10 minute) drive, some might even offer shuttles. Plenty of local dining nearby, less touristy than downtown.

If you have half a day, look into the belle Meade Plantation for a tour & lunch, or Cheekwood.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
330 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: adding a couple days to a business trip

I know you said early June, so I just wanted to tell you that CMA FanFest is June 6-9 downtown. Huge concerts at Titans Stadium across the river (tickets are sold out) each night, free concerts all around downtown, plus other things to do in the new convention center ($10 admission). There will be lots and lots of people who come into town that week, so leave plenty of time to do area attractions.

The next weekend is Bonaroo, which is a huge outdoor music festival about an hour southeast of Nashville. It shouldn't impact much in Nashville, other than the airport.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
244 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: adding a couple days to a business trip

Thanks, flying out afternoon of June 6, good thing, I don't like crowds!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
244 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: adding a couple days to a business trip

Thanks nashpam, we already know we will need to come back to Nashville sometime!

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
330 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: adding a couple days to a business trip

Things will be crowded that whole week. Honkey Tonks will be jumping, as many people take the full week and enjoy themselves. If you are planning on eating at any of the nicer places, go ahead and make reservations.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
244 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: adding a couple days to a business trip

Where do you suggest eating? Good idea about reservations! Thanks jaysmom

Music City, USA
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
3,367 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: adding a couple days to a business trip

BTW, no, you can't really walk anywhere from the Sheraton Music City. Without a car, you're stuck with the hotel's restaurant or calling for delivery or a cab.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
330 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: adding a couple days to a business trip

Nashville has some wonderful places to eat. The Southern is really good. Watermark and Catbird Seat are fantastic for Foodies. It's hard to get into Catbird Seat. Capital Grille at the Hermitage is wonderful. Many people love Jimmy Kelly's for steaks (it's not my favorite, but it was my parents!). I prefer Sperry's for a steakhouse. blvd bistro is the newest venture by Arnold Myint, who was on Top Chef and I have several friends who have gone (I haven't yet, but will just as soon as school is out!) and they really loved it.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
244 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: adding a couple days to a business trip

bummer. oh well, thanks for the info monkey lizard. we have our hotel reservations in west end area for two nights, before moving over to sheraton music city hotel. we also have our tickets for grand ole opry sat. night. sunday during day will be Country music hall of fame, then want to eat downtown and walk around, do the bars and shops stay open on sunday evening? then we have monday during day and monday evening, suggestions for what to do, where to go?

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
244 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: adding a couple days to a business trip

thanks jaysmom, I will check these out! I am making notes...which ones need reservations? we get in town saturday afternoon, will need to check in to our hotel, and want to be at Grand Ole Opry by 6:15 or so, where should we eat on this time schedule? we are staying in west end area and plan to go do downtown stuff on sunday and maybe monday also.