We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nashville ideas

Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Nashville ideas

We are travelling to NY from Australia in June and I'm trying to fit in a surprise side trip to Nashville as my husband is a big country music fan. We will have our 3 daughters with us ages 14, 12 and 9. I have been reading other posts and gather the Grand Ole Opry is a must do. What else should we make sure we do? Are the kids allowed in the bars etc at night to listen to music? Do the tickets sell out for the Opry shows as it looks like you can't see the actual artists til a week before. Husband is a big Rascall Flatts and Keith Urban fan. Is downtown the best place to stay? we will be flying in on June 19th and would like to stay 2 or 3 days. Any advice welcome!!

Spring Hill...
Level Contributor
245 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nashville ideas

For a quick 'best of Nashville' in 2-3 days stay downtown...you will be able to see, hear, taste and feel Music City up close!!

Some of the bars are also restaurants and can accomodate families, while others are strictly bars where one must be 21+. Perhaps some others can comment on the bar-restaurant-music venue scene!?!?

As far a the Grand Ole Opry show, every week features big name artists like Keith Urban or Rascall Flatts. Coming up this week will be Darius Rucker and Vince Gill, for example! I don't think you will be disappointed whoever is set to appear!!

If you have other questions...please let us know.

Music City, USA
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
3,329 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nashville ideas

first, thanks for considering a stop in our city. We'd love to have ya'll.

Second, read the links on the right side of this page to get an idea on where to stay, who's playing when, etc. Stay downtown if you can afford to. My 2nd choice would be the West End/Vanderbilt area, followed by the Airport area, then finally the Opryland area.

Most of the neon-lit honkey tonks downtown are all ages until a certain time. Most switch to 21+ at 10:00pm, but I think one or two switch at 11:00pm. Robert's Western World is popular and I often see families in there. You just sort of wander in and out of the honky tonks. If you like the band, stay. If not, go to another one. IIRC, most of the venues in Printers Alley are 21+ all the time.

The Grand Ole Opry will announce artists as they are confirmed. Sometimes that's a few months out and sometimes it's just a few weeks. Once you have your dates set, get your tickets and don't worry about who ends up playing. You'll still enjoy the show.

Besides the Grand Ole Opry, look into the Country Music Hall of Fame and a backstage tour of The Ryman Auditorium. To mix it up a bit, take the kids to The Peanut Shop in the downtown arcade center (ask a local for directions) and to Laser Quest (laser tag) on 2nd Ave.

Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nashville ideas

Thanks for the replies. Think I'll book tickets for Friday 21st and hope for a great show. Peanut shop looks fun, thanks for the tip. Looking at staying in holiday inn express downtown. Daughters just discovered that One Direction will be in town when we arrive, they are very excited about possibly catching a glimpse of them.

melbourne
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nashville ideas

hi trene

my husband and i hve been in nashville for the past 4 days and loved it

we have noticed some families arund but the honky tonks and bars in broadway all ask for ID over 21

we got a great rate on the Hampton Inn and Suites which is part of the hilton chain . They serve a free good breakfast and free wifi. It was very reasonalbe. The location is excellent on 4th street 2 blocks to braodway where all the action is and its behind the country hall of fame (a must do tour along with studio b tour attached) and the bridgestone arena. If I where you i would look at this location as its more central than the place you are looking at and within walking distance to everywhere

if You hire a car (easy driving in nashville) you can do Lynchburg one day (jack daniels distillery is free and excellent tour ) plus lynchburg is a unique country town. We also drove 1 hour over to bowling green kentucky today and we did the corvette musuem and a tour of Diamond Caverns Caves which was excellent and I would recommend this. We stayed 4 nights (3 full days) in nashville and found this perfect amount of time

Music City, USA
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
3,329 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nashville ideas

I know for a fact that Robert's Western World is open to all ages until 10pm.

I'm almost certain that The Wild Horse Saloon and Station Inn are open to under 21 if accompanied by an adult.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Nashville ideas

Just wanted to throw in my two cents for Robert's Western World! I LOVE that place. I can't say that I've been before 10pm too often, but it is a great place. And the burgers are surprisingly good... Bar food, but still tasty. Or maybe the beer made it taste better? Ha!

No matter what the line up is for the Grand Ole Opry, you definitely should go because it's such a great experience. Getting to be in it and seeing a show--nothing like it. And from my own experiences there, I didn't feel like there were any bad seats...

I'm not sure if your daughters would particularly like touring the Parthenon, but it's really neat. Plus, it's at Centennial Park, which is just a neat place to spend some time walking around in the park and in the West End/Vanderbilt area. It'll be really hot in June, though!

Have fun in Nashville! My home! :)

Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Nashville ideas

Do you know if tickets for the Grand Ole Opry come available the day of the show if it shows that it is sold out? One lady I spoke to said that this could happen.

Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nashville ideas

Thanks for all the tips. Have booked at the Hampton inn and suites and are definitely going to the Opry. Lots of other places to check out too so thanks for the recommendations. Heat shouldn't bother us, we are used to hot summers in Australia. Am looking at flying from Nashville to Orlando on southwest, are they an ok airline, seem much cheaper than others?

Music City, USA
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
3,329 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nashville ideas

Southwest is now the largest domestic carrier in the U.S. It's a good airline, and the only one that I know of with non-stop flights from Nashville to Orlando.

Since you'll be downtown, there's a good laser tag place on 2nd Ave that your kids might like. It's a little bit past the WildHorse Saloon. It's called Laser Quest (or LQ).

10. Re: Nashville ideas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, April 24, 2014