We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roadtrip from Washingon DC to Nashville TN

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Roadtrip from Washingon DC to Nashville TN

We are a family of 4 (2A,2C) who are wanting to drive from Washington DC to Nashville, Jan 2014. We would really appreciate advise on where a good (safe) spot to stop overnight would be. It looks like it is about a 12 hr journey. Are the roads effected in the Winter months? If so is 12 hours a reasonable allowance for travel?

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,720 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Roadtrip from Washingon DC to Nashville TN

We make that trip in 10-11 hours in good weather. Plus, you "gain" an hour with the time zone change.

It can certainly be snowy during the winter months, but it is not the norm. I would plan to drive the Roanoke, VA to Knoxville TN leg during daytime hours. The roads can be twisty, fog/mist/rain can make for a hard drive.

Bristol TN/VA is a good halfway point. It is safe.

Rising Sun, Maryland
Level Contributor
13 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Roadtrip from Washingon DC to Nashville TN

My husband and I took this drive last September (we live about 2 hours north of DC) its beautiful! If you have time (and depending on the age of your kids) I would urge you to take a slight detour in Wytheville, VA, its just North of the Tennessee line, and visit Walker Mountain Lookout. Bundle up cause it will be chilly! They're is a 4 story observation tower at the top of the Mountain, the drive up to it had my husband and I in a complete giggle fit... there's about 15 switchbacks that had us convinced we had entered the twilight zone! But for a nominal fee you can climb the tower aka let the children stretch their legs and the view is amazing! The gift shop/store is manned by the sweetest ladies I've ever met! Just a thought, enjoy your trip!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Roadtrip from Washingon DC to Nashville TN

Thank you for your great advise. Bristol looks like a great place to rest our heads overnight.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Roadtrip from Washingon DC to Nashville TN

Please excuse my ignorance.....but what is a 'switchback'? Don't use that term in Australia.

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,720 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Roadtrip from Washingon DC to Nashville TN

Switchbacks are hairpin turns. Not for the easily car-sickened!

Rising Sun, Maryland
Level Contributor
13 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Roadtrip from Washingon DC to Nashville TN

My apologies :) yes hairpin turns, zig zags, sharp z shaped turns... trip advisor has it listed under big walker lookout. Hope that helps.

7. Re: Roadtrip from Washingon DC to Nashville TN

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, February 19, 2014