We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where do the locals go to eat and enjoy themselves?

Douglas, Georgia
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where do the locals go to eat and enjoy themselves?

Some friends and I are visiting Nashville in a few weeks and we want to experience Nashville as a true "Nashvillian" :) would...so where do the locals go for good food and fun??? We don't want to do the whole 'Olive Garden thing' if ya know what I mean! :)

US
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
3,181 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where do the locals go to eat and enjoy themselves?

Price range? Type of food? Ambiance? As with any city of this size, and more so than others, Nashville has a large number of independent restaurants outside of the tourist zone which cover a wide range of budgets, cuisines, and atmospheres. Some include music, some don't. If you provide more information then you will get answers that are targeted to your desires rather than a broad laundry list.

Douglas, Georgia
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Where do the locals go to eat and enjoy themselves?

Cheap to moderate price ranges........ ($20 per meal probably at the most considering we're on budgets). As far as type of food or ambiance..... we're open to ANYTHING!!!! Honestly....anything :)

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
925 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where do the locals go to eat and enjoy themselves?

You might check out the scene at Hillsboro Village near Vandy or at 5 Points in East Nashville; take a look through the "Neighborhoods" article (left hand side of the screen, click through: More on Nashville / Travel Guide / Neighborhoods).

Here's some links to the Food & Drinks section of the 2010 "Best of" poll by the Nashville Scene:

http://tinyurl.com/bon2010

http://tinyurl.com/bon2010a

Douglas, Georgia
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Where do the locals go to eat and enjoy themselves?

Thank you!!

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
1,211 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where do the locals go to eat and enjoy themselves?

True taste of Nashville I suggest Pancake Pantry in Hillsboro Village and Loveless Cafe in West Nashville/Bellevue. These are Nashville staples and far from the Olive Garden or IHOP

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
65 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where do the locals go to eat and enjoy themselves?

While Pancake Pantry is an institution and you may want to do it just for the experience, the lines can be daunting and the service... An alternative is Noshville, same neighborhood, great food, fewer people and less pressure to gulp and go. Loveless is super, another institution, and worth the drive out there. If it's bbq you're looking for, Jack's on Broadway near the river is not a chain and is really great cue.

My favorite brewpubs are Boscos in Hillsboro Village, or Blackstone's on Broadway. Mafiaoza's on 12th ave south (http://www.mafiaozas.com/) is my current favorite pizza bar, with two for one specials on draft and pizza slices a couple of days a week.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
23 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where do the locals go to eat and enjoy themselves?

I can concur with Blackstone, my husband really loves their dark beers and the food is good. I am not a fan of the Loveless, while the place is kitchy, I don't think there is anything special about the food. I totally recommend Athens Family Restaurant on 8th Ave south. They are primarily greek but have other stuff as well. We also like the 12 South Taproom and have heard Burger Up on 12 South is also good (it's on my list of things to try next!)

East Tennessee
Level Contributor
638 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where do the locals go to eat and enjoy themselves?

For your consideration:

Pancake Pantry- simply be there before 8 am and there is no line. Arrive 8 or after and be prepared to stand. Worth a visit.

Sylvan Park- great meat and three with homemade pie. Very simple.

Hermitage- visit for lunch and you can dine in luxury for about 20 dollars

Pucketts downtown (in the old Amy's venue) good choice and walking distance to downtown.

Montana Grill- West End- chain but lot's of locals

Rotiers- West End- getting run down but locals still hit it.

Browns- good burgers on the west side

Loveless- bought out a few years ago and lost some of it attraction for locals. Many still go.

Neeleys BBQ- in Metro Center- locals but go in a group at night

Monnells- in Germantown area- lots of locals and a good choice

Hope that this gets you started. Have fun.

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,722 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where do the locals go to eat and enjoy themselves?

Go east.

Margot, Marche, Eastland Cafe are my tops in East Nashville.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
3 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where do the locals go to eat and enjoy themselves?

Stay away from IHOP on Old Hickory Blvd in Hermitage Tn, unless you want to wait one hour for the breakfast special and get cold eggs and pancakes.