We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick Trip to see Vanderbilt

Which Nashville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Jericho, New York
Level Contributor
25 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Quick Trip to see Vanderbilt

We are arriving on Sunday night, touring Vanderbilt on Monday afternoon and leaving on Tuesday morning. Any suggestions for dinner that will get my daughter psyched on Nashville?

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quick Trip to see Vanderbilt

I recommend eating at the dining hall at Vandy; that's an important part of the college experience to assess. The food there is between okay and good depending on the person.

US
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
3,010 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quick Trip to see Vanderbilt

It would depend greatly on what sort of food / atmosphere would be her cup of tea. Vanderbilt is in midtown, which is the richest general area for good restaurants -- although far from being the only location for them!

Is she interested in the country-music connection, or would she prefer to see the non-country side of Nashville (which is extensive?) What type of food? What type of place -- sleek and modern, casual, a joint that college students would typically visit or a place she'd go when you're paying? Something typically Southern, new Southern, broadly American, ethnic? Etc. Etc. There are so many choices more info will help give you the best suggestions.

US
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
3,010 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quick Trip to see Vanderbilt

Vanderbilt has more than one "dining hall." There are lots of places to eat all over campus, and they vary greatly in style and type of food offered - including a wonderful vegan kosher cafe. There are also outside vendors who have on-campus locations and accept the Commodore Card, as well as off-campus restaurants that accept it. So, first year students who are required to buy a meal plan have lots and lots of choice about where to eat.

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,704 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quick Trip to see Vanderbilt

I vote for something off-campus! Plenty of time to eat dining hall food if she goes there.

Definately check out Hillsboro Village and Elliston Place, as these are the closest major off-campus spots for dining & shopping. Cabana in HB is good, upscale modern southern. Rotiers on EP for burgers. J. Alexander's & Bricktop's for upscale American fare, both on West End near the Parthenon. Hog Heaven for a great BBQ lunch (love the turkey with white sauce).

Edited: 10:15 pm, January 24, 2011
Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quick Trip to see Vanderbilt

Yeah, but that doesn't help with the decision making process. The trip should be primarily about Vandy, not Nashville (though that's important). I'd tend to say it's more important to gather information about campus and then check out the city once she's attending, assuming she's attending. In some cases it's the "smaller" things you wouldn't expect (like food) that help you decide where you want to go if you're making a close decision. And it's not just assessing the quality of the food...school tours are notorious for showing off some bits of campus and not others. It's good to hang around campus on your own time and do your own thing so you can get a better feel for what student life is actually like. (I say this as a college freshman who spent several days at Vandy working through the decision making process after I was accepted.)

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quick Trip to see Vanderbilt

Acorn is a great restaurant near Vandy that's open on Monday. Bricktop is another good choice near Vandy.

Acorn Restaurant @ 114 28th Avenue North, Nashville, TN. 615 - 320 - 4399.

http://www.theacornrestaurant.com/

Bricktop Restaurant @ 3000 West End Avenue, Nashville, TN 615 - 298 - 1000.

http://www.westendrestaurants.com/

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Quick Trip to see Vanderbilt

You might like Rotier's if you like country food. It's near Vandy.

Rotier's Restaurant @ 2413 Elliston Place, Nashville, TN 615 - 327 - 9892.

http://www.rotiers.com/

US
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
3,010 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Quick Trip to see Vanderbilt

And out of all the choices in the Vandy area, I would not go to any of those three in this situation. There are many better, more interesting choices.

Jericho, New York
Level Contributor
25 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Quick Trip to see Vanderbilt

Such as?? We are trying to get a feel for the school and the area, having never been there. We will have lunch on campus, but would like to have a nice dinner.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Quick Trip to see Vanderbilt

You say. OK. Where would you go. You say you would not go to those 3 but you don't disclose your choices. What are your choices.