We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things for "tweens" and teens to do in Nashville

Which Nashville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dundee, Michigan
Level Contributor
760 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Things for "tweens" and teens to do in Nashville

My husband and I went to Nashville about 15 years ago before we had kids. Now we have two kids who will be 12 and 14 next summer and I was wondering if there is much to do in the Nashville area for kids their age. When we went last time we visited a lot of the historical sites and the Grand Ole Opry, but I don't think that those things will appeal to our kids too much, at least not for several days. Are there any kid-related things to do in Nashville since Opryland closed? Thanks!

Franklin, TN
Level Contributor
688 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things for "tweens" and teens to do in Nashville

for kids, unless they are into history, it can be pretty weak here. No 'theme parks' for 2-3 hours in any direction. As for local, kid friendly activities, there is the Adventure Science Center, kind of a 'hands on, interactive' learning center, Zoo at Grassmere (however Memphis Zoo is better, new Panda exhibit, 3.5 hour drive), Wave County and Nashville Shores (water parks). Then, of course, your variety of Putt Putt, laser tags, etc., scattered through Nashville. There is also the General Jackson Riverboat and Opry Mills.

Not sure how adventurous your clan is, however if you can get just past Chattanooga, there is the Ocoee River for whitewater rafting (river used in '96 Olympics). Your kids would make the age cutoff and it is really safe for all ages. For tamer waters, Buffalo River is about an hour west, some really good canoeing.

Good luck!

Dundee, Michigan
Level Contributor
760 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things for "tweens" and teens to do in Nashville

Thanks for your information! I kind of thought that there wasn't a lot in Nashville for kids to do. My kids will tolerate a certain amount of history, and then boredom sets in. Opry Mills would probably have limited appeal for them too. I like the idea of the whitewater rafting-thanks for suggesting that! Since it's down closer to Chattenooga maybe we could incorporate that into a trip to the Smokies. I know that there are tons of things for kids to do in Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge. Maybe the hubby and I will have to wait until we're empty nesters to see the Grand Ole Opry and do the bus tour again. Thanks again!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things for "tweens" and teens to do in Nashville

Opry Mills has Glow Golf, which is a form of indoor putt putt with glow in the dark golf balls, etc. My nieces loved it when they came to see me (12 and 15). They also enjoyed the Rainforest Cafe, also at Opry Mills.

N.Ireland
Level Contributor
231 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things for "tweens" and teens to do in Nashville

Im just back from nashville and had a wonderful time. Things i could suggest would be the steamboat cruise it was wonderful and i also went to see the Nashville Predators ice hockey team play which i would really recommend.

Like you have suggested i went to the country music hall of fame and studio B which was very interesting. I would definitely see if you could take your kids to the hockey game it was very memorable.

Jillian

Franklin, TN
Level Contributor
688 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things for "tweens" and teens to do in Nashville

great idea about the Preds, however their regular season ends in April. Nashville Kats (arena football) ends in May. About the only summer sports here is the Nashville Sounds AAA baseball team.

Dundee, Michigan
Level Contributor
760 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things for "tweens" and teens to do in Nashville

Thanks all of you, for your great input. I think that we will probably end up going somewhere very kid-oriented like the Smoky Mountains or Myrtle Beach. We have been to both several times and always find plenty to do. I think that Nashville is a lot of fun, but we will probably wait until just the two of us can go by ourselves again. Thanks again!

North Alabama
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Things for "tweens" and teens to do in Nashville

If you will be coming to Nashville in the summer there is a new outdoor adventure company that caters to teenagers. Look up their website www.nomadbackcountryadventures.com

They do day trips, night trips and custom trips and I think they furnish all the equipment except for hiking boots. All the information is on their website

Dundee, Michigan
Level Contributor
760 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things for "tweens" and teens to do in Nashville

Thanks, all! Actually, I was on Priceline's website this morning fooling around looking for a place to go for vacation, and I kept thinking about how much my husband and I liked Nashville, in spite of the fact that it isn't as kid-oriented as the Smokies, etc. for our kids. I entered what I thought was a ridiculously low price for a three-star hotel in Nashville, just for the heck of it, and, LOL, imagine my surprise (and slight panic) when my price was accepted! Then, as the day went on and I was thinking about how I was going to break the news to my husband, I discovered that Fanfare will be going on while we're there, and he loves country music so it will probably all work out great and we'll have a lot of fun. When I told him about it this evening, he was like, "Oh. Okay. Sounds like fun." Thanks again all of you for your input!!

missouri
Level Contributor
194 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Things for "tweens" and teens to do in Nashville

Would you care to share with us what hotel and what price? Some others may want to try for the same deal!!!!

Dundee, Michigan
Level Contributor
760 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Things for "tweens" and teens to do in Nashville

It is the Radisson Hotel Nashville Airport and I got it for $50/night. When I checked their regular rates, they started at $139/night! I have never been there, but their website says that they spent millions of dollars renovating the place in 2005, and all of the customer reviews of it were good, so I'm sure it will be great. The pictures of it also looked really nice. I can't guarantee that you would get the same hotel though. You probably know this, but how Priceline works is, they don't tell you the name of the hotel until your price is accepted, so if you go to their website and put in $50 for a three-star hotel, you might get a different one, depending on who is offering what price on a given day.

Some people going to Nashville might prefer to be out by the Opryland complex or downtown, but we really don't care, and the other time we visited Nashville we stayed by the airport and it was perfectly fine. Those other areas are just a hop, skip and a jump down the expressway-no big deal.

Good luck!!