We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thinking about moving to Nashville area

Which Nashville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Clarkston, MI
10 posts
Save Topic
Thinking about moving to Nashville area

Hello, we would appreciate any information about the Nashville area. Best areas to live, schools, information on how the economy is doing. Any and all information would be helpful and appreciated greatly. Thanks

11. Re: Thinking about moving to Nashville area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:31 pm, November 21, 2005
Nashville
1 post
Save Reply
12. Re: Thinking about moving to Nashville area

Hello,

Thought I would post a message regarding nursing in Nashville (and TN in general). I am an RN that is currently in graduate school at Vanderbilt. We moved to Nashville specifically for graduate school and were surprised about the pay difference from my previous nursing job in Ohio. Unfortunately, most hospitals do not offer sign- on bonuses or moving expense repayment. In addition, the shift differential is meager (when I was looking, most were offering less than $1 an hour...) Also, the starting pay is significantly less than what I made as a new BSN grad in Ohio!?? One of my classmates works full time at Stonecrest Medical Center in Smryna, TN (as mentioned by a previous poster) and really enjoys it. The hospital is pretty much brand new and she's been really happy with her experience... though she frequently mentions the pay is significantly less than where she worked before (also in Ohio).

There is no state income tax, but the sales tax is 9.25%. Food is also taxed... I'm not positive about Michigan, but in Ohio, food was non-tax. Just be aware that shopping trips tend to be quite expensive!? :)

My husband and I live near downtown and Vanderbilt. If I could do it again, I would probably choose to live in a suburb, a little ways from Downtown... Seems like we get stuck in all the horrible traffic, with drivers that are sometimes not the greatest...

The weather is wonderful though. I grew up in Cleveland and am used to the bitter cold winter days. This definitely is nice.

On another job note... working as a nurse at Vanderbilt Medical Center is a highly sought after job... They offer full tuiton payment for you/husband/kids after a few years of service. This covers tuition at Vanderbilt, or any University in TN... Definitely a plus if anyone is looking at going to school...

Hope this helps you a bit... We've enjoyed our 2 years here, but will probably not stay once I'm done with grad school. Good Luck!!

Franklin, TN
Level Contributor
688 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Thinking about moving to Nashville area

Cynthia,

so sorry for the delay in response. As for Old Hickory Village, I do not have first hand knowledge of it, however it is in the older section of Old Hickory. There is a Dupont plant close by. As for shopping and dining, nothing in the immediate area. Rivergate mall is about 15 minutes away, there you will find most of the chain restaurants. Traffic can be a nightmare.

Los Angeles, CA
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Thinking about moving to Nashville area

Volrichard, thanks for the details on Old Hickory Village. We did kind of think there wasn't much within walking distance of any potential house in Old Hickory Village. It is a beautiful area with lovely old homes, though. Appreciate your help.

--Cynthia