We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advise on Nashville area...

Memphis, TN
4 posts
Save Topic
Need advise on Nashville area...

I'm looking to move to the Nashville area. I'm married with a 5 year old and one on the way, so school district is very important. I've figured out that we can't afford the Franklin or Brentwood area. Our current combined income in Memphis is around $70,000. I would need to drive to the city for a job, I'm currently in the insurance industry. My husband is an electrician. My question is, where do we look? Right in Nashville? I don't want to drive more than 30 minutes one way to work.

somebeach
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advise on Nashville area...

HI,

If the schools are very important STAY out of Metro Davidson county.

You, might look into the East Cheatam County area (Joelton or Pleast View) or Roberton County (Coopertown, Greenbrier or Ridgetop). All are roughly 30 minutes into Nashville without a major traffic issue. Southeast of Nashville would be Lavergne, Smyrna and Murfreesboro, these are really boom areas with heavy traffic and they are playing catch up to built enough schools.

Hope this helps.

peach

Memphis, TN
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advise on Nashville area...

Thank you for the valuable information. What is your take on Mount Juliet? I've searched home and they prices look reasonable. Only 20min to Nashville, how is the area?

somebeach
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advise on Nashville area...

Mt. Juliet is ok, I'm got friends and co-workers that live there.

Wilson county board of education has alot of issues going on now with dress code and making the local news 2-3 days a week.

peach

4. Re: Need advise on Nashville area...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:56 pm, September 13, 2005
Memphis, TN
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Need advise on Nashville area...

Well I would go into all the reasons why I want to leave Memphis, but then the moderator would just delete my post, as has been done before! So let's just say Memphis is not an option to raise my family.

My only drawback right now is that I can't leave NOW because I'm 3 months pregnant. I can't get another job yet.

kinda all over
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Need advise on Nashville area...

yeah you're right !, what's with all the removing posts anyway. There were several on this one describing some of the dynamics of memphis which were right-on, and they got erased! what's up with that?

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,935 posts
407 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need advise on Nashville area...

Have you looked at Goodlettsville?

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Need advise on Nashville area...

I would also consider Sumner County (Hendersonville). It is about 15 miles from downtown Nashville, although traffic on 65 can be a bear. I'm from Lebanon (in the same county at Mt. Juliet) and I think the schools are fine. I have cousins that go to high school in Wilson County and have no problems.

Memphis, TN
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Need advise on Nashville area...

I will have to research the other areas mentioned. Our current property tax rate here is almost 8.00 and I cannot afford it. Would rather put the money into a nicer home. As far as cost of living, I hear that South Franklin is not as expensive?