We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

General Jackson River Cruise

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
General Jackson River Cruise

We will be visiting Nashville for a few days in September. We were wondering if the General Jackson River Cruise is worth the price or if it is a "tourist trap". What other places are the "must see" spots if you only have a couple of days?

iRide Nashville
Sightseeing Tours, Segway Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Joyride Nashville
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Music City Rollin' Jamboree Tours
City Tours, Literary, Art & Music Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours
Gray Line Tours
Bus Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Hop-On Hop-Off Tours, Literary, Art & Music Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Hawkinge, United...
Level Contributor
324 posts
433 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: General Jackson River Cruise

We have just returned from Nashville and took the General Jackson dinner cruise on the 21st August. It was expensive but we all agreed (2 adults/2 teens) afterwards that it was money well spent and a thoroughly great evening. We had a table near the stage on the main floor and watched the last night of the Peking Acrobats show whcih was absolutely stunning. Dinner was good and the service quick. You don't see a lot of the river because you are in the theatre/restaurant for the entire cruise.

All I can tell you is that we would all do it again on a future visit to Nashville.

Other trips we enjoyed: We went to the Jack Daniels distillery at Lynchburg just south of Nashville and also had lunch at Miss Mary Bobos guest house there. That was a real experience and not to be missed - you need to make reservations in advance.

The Wildhorse Saloon was a good evenings entertainment.

The Grand Ol Opry - of course! Even if you don't like country music excessively, you would enjoy the atmosphere of this special show.

Hope this helps

Hawkinge, United...
Level Contributor
324 posts
433 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: General Jackson River Cruise

Oh, and don't miss the Country Music Hall of Fame!!! It is one of the most entertaining and interesting interactive museums we have ever visited. Even my two teens were held by it - it's just that good. You can easily spend a half day here.

Hawkinge, United...
Level Contributor
324 posts
433 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: General Jackson River Cruise

Oh, and don't miss the Country Music Hall of Fame!!! It is one of the most entertaining and interesting interactive museums we have ever visited. Even my two teens were held by it - it's just that good. You can easily spend a half day here.

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: General Jackson River Cruise

If you enter General Jackson River Cruise in the search box in the upper left corner of this page 5 tripadvisor member reviews and 5 instances it was discussed in the forums comes up. The search feature has saved me a lot ot time and money. The cruise sounds like fun.

Bowling Green...
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: General Jackson River Cruise

We have been on the General Jackson three times..

Once with my husbands company for their Christmas party and then the second time as an anniversary gift from the kids.

Both times we really enjoyed the show and the dinner.

Alcoholic drinks are extra...

The third time was on the lunch cruise with my mom when she was here visiting years ago. That also was a fun time.

I think you would really enjoy it.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: General Jackson River Cruise

I have never been on the General Jackson, (except when it was in our town for Tall Stacks, and that was just a walk through) but I have seen Tim Watson, who does a show on some the cruises. I first caught Tim and Black Creek at the fall Gatlinburg's Craftsman's Fair a few years ago. He is extremely talented in music, and hysterical in his wit and humor. We have even planned our visits to G-Burg in the fall on the right weekend so we can catch his show at the fair. We love it!

Smokiesgrl

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: General Jackson River Cruise

I forgot to add - if you go to thefiddleman.com you can check out reviews of Tim's shows on the riverboat. You will see what I mean!

Heidi

Smokiesgrl