We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Music Valley attractions

Shawville, QC...
Level Contributor
103 posts
21 reviews
9 helpful votes
Music Valley attractions

Hello,

We will be visiting Nashville overnight in October, and are staying in the Music Valley area because we want to tour the Grand Ole Opry Museum. Last time I was in Nashville was 2002, and so many shops and attractions were gone from Music Valley since Opryland was closed, just wondering if there is ANYTHING left in the area in the way of shops or attractions, besides the Opryland Hotel, and Opry Mills Mall, which we do NOT wish to visit (I'm still angry about Opryland disappearing!!) Thanks for any info anyone can provide.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
769 posts
29 reviews
47 helpful votes
1. Re: Music Valley attractions

I would say the area has not changed much since then. I feel your pain about Opryland- I worked there 4 summers as a teenager.

San Juan del Sur...
Level Contributor
171 posts
1 review
2. Re: Music Valley attractions

Well as far as shops not awhole lot left. This area of town has a wax museum, cooters place, trails west, grayline sightseeing, a few restaurants like, Applebees, Bob Evans, Sante Fe, ect...

Greta area close to downtown and the Opry House. There is still the mall and the hotel. Plus the General Jackson Showboat. There is a golf store and a couple of campgrounds. Your only about 20 minutes from a target and a wal-mart and again downtown is like 15 minutes away.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
37 posts
79 reviews
109 helpful votes
3. Re: Music Valley attractions

Don't miss the Country Music Hall of Fame, seriously. They have Elvis's gold Cadillac, Gram Parsons' famous Nudie suit and about a ton more stuff. It's really impressive, a far cry from when it used to be a one-story pile of bricks out behind Music Row.

If you haven't taken in a show at the Ryman Auditorium, it's also a don't-miss type of venue. It was the original home of the Opry and was saved by the wrecking ball by one Miss Emmylou Harris back in the 90s.

None of this is up in Music Valley, but you're not a horrifically far car ride away. have fun!

Shawville, QC...
Level Contributor
103 posts
21 reviews
9 helpful votes
4. Re: Music Valley attractions

Thanks for the help everyone, we are definitely doing the Country Music Hall of Fame and Studio B, plus the Ryman. DD and I have been to these, but her DH and the other member of our group haven't seen them, so we are going for their benefit.

It's strange how different things appeal to different people....one of you mentioned liking the new Hall of Fame better than the old one, and I found the new one to have a "cold & distant" feel to it. The gold records go so high you can only see a few names, and the display cases have the mementos so far back that you can't see them as well as in the old Hall of Fame. I know the old one was smaller, but everything felt so close, it was as if you could reach out and touch it (even tho' you couldn't), and I found the new Hall of Fame so large it was rather overwhelming. This will be my 2nd visit to the new one, so I'm hoping it will feel more comfortable to me this time. We are also going to stop at Tootsie's downtown before heading out to Music Valley. Glad to know there are still a couple of things in the area....is the Cracker Barrel still there, and the Shoney's restaurant, does anyone know? Thanks again folks, as I said on other posts, will do a trip report on our return...counting the days now, and can hardly wait!!

Rhode ISland
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
4 helpful votes
5. Re: Music Valley attractions

Just came back from Nashville yesterday.

Had a great time and enjoyed the Grand Ole Opry and the museum on Sat evening. I am glad i stayed downtown and not at the Opryland hotel. the only thing besides the Opry is the Opry mills, which is awful!!!

the drive from the hotel downtown was wasy and the city is easy to navigate.

have fun and do not miss the Ryman theater. My highlight of the trip

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
769 posts
29 reviews
47 helpful votes
6. Re: Music Valley attractions

Yes, there are still multiple Cracker Barrels around and are consistantly good for that type of food. The national headquarters is located in Lebanon, TN about 30 mi east of Nashville. Skip Shoney's- they have gone way downhill in recent years and there is so much better food around than that. I suspect that you will not have a cold and distant feeling once inside Tootsie's!

USA/Tennessee
Level Contributor
330 posts
109 reviews
42 helpful votes
7. Re: Music Valley attractions

It is amusing how people like and dislike things. I simply adore Opry Mills Mall. Yes, I do miss Opryland; however, I can do nothing about that. I also adore Broadway and 2nd Street. And I like the Hall of Fame, I could spend opening to close there.

San Juan del Sur...
Level Contributor
171 posts
1 review
8. Re: Music Valley attractions

Opry Mills has never been a huge favorite of mine either but in their defense they just got bought out by Simon Mall and are make some huge strides to make it a nicer mall but it will be a mall and not an outlet. To be honest never saw the outlet side of it anyhow.

Georgia
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
9. Re: Music Valley attractions

You mentioned going to Tooties you may also want to try the Wildhorse Saloon, they have really good food and about once an hour they will call people to the dance floor and teach you to line dance and then everyone dances to a number. It was really fun, we went one year during the July 4th holdiay.

Shawville, QC...
Level Contributor
103 posts
21 reviews
9 helpful votes
10. Re: Music Valley attractions

Thanks again for all the input folks....we do have the Wildhorse on our list of things to do....it's the first time in Nashville for my son-in-law, so we have picked several places to take him, even though it's just a short stay!