We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AirBnB or Downtown Hotel

Tucson, Arizona
9 posts
AirBnB or Downtown Hotel

Some friends and I are headed to Nashville in June for an Eric Church concert and we are trying to decide if we should stay at an AirBnB two miles from downtown for 400 bucks for the weekend or splurge and stay in the heart of downtown for 600...any suggestions? Is the two miles worth saving the 200 bucks?

Manchester
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: AirBnB or Downtown Hotel

I would be really interested to hear a local's perspective on this as it was the exact same dilemma we had but we're coming from the uk and visiting Nashville to look around and sightsee. In the end we thought it would be worth paying the extra and have booked a downtown hotel (Homewood Suites, more reasonable than some of the more expensive hotels) so we were close to the action (bars, restaurants, museums etc) and could walk everywhere. Depends what else you want to do in Nashville when you're there I suppose.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
3,432 posts
120 reviews
2. Re: AirBnB or Downtown Hotel

While I won't tell you which is "better" I can say it all comes down to convenience vs. cost. If being walking distance to most major attractions downtown is of the utmost importance to you, then splurge and pay the extra $200. If that $200 could be better spent on dining, drinks, etc. than a place to stay, stay at the AirBnB. There's really no wrong answer here, it is just up to your personal preference and what you value more.

US
Level Contributor
3,181 posts
29 reviews
3. Re: AirBnB or Downtown Hotel

The problem with a lot of short-term rentals close to downtown is that they are in sketchy areas. They also tend to be in residential areas where you're removed from restaurants or other points of interest. Not all, but a lot. They have to be evaluated one-by-one. You can save money and be only a mile from downtown by staying in the Vanderbilt area, which is bustling in its own right & is very convenient.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
3,432 posts
120 reviews
4. Re: AirBnB or Downtown Hotel

Tferrell makes a great point. Not all rentals are located in sketchy parts of the city, but many are and the property owners capitalize on out of towners by using fun little buzzwords and proximity to downtown to persaude.

If you post the location of the rental (a street name and nearby intersection will do) we can advise on the relatively safety of the area.

Nashville, Tennessee
2 posts
5. Re: AirBnB or Downtown Hotel

With Lyft and Uber able to whisk you downtown in minutes, i think you are much better off with the AirBnB. You can get so much more with the property than you can with two beds in a square room with the Hotel. There are some really great AirBnbs in Nashville. I would even consider going out near Opryland Hotel for one as it is super easy to get downtown and you will save a bundle!

S B
2 posts
1 review
6. Re: AirBnB or Downtown Hotel

I'd stay at hotel only because you will save some money on Uber.

Edited: 11:06 pm, April 25, 2017
S B
2 posts
1 review
7. Re: AirBnB or Downtown Hotel

but avoid Opryland area. There is nothing out there and it is a hike from downtown.

Also I agree with other posts about Airbnb's. They are really hit or miss. I've sworn r them off after some really bad experiences.

Edited: 11:07 pm, April 25, 2017
London, Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
8. Re: AirBnB or Downtown Hotel

We are also going in june and staying at airbnb place it was approx 600 cheaper . Full kitchen n pool next to germantown. Very nice host from our communication so far

Music City, USA
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
97 reviews
9. Re: AirBnB or Downtown Hotel

Hotels in Nashville tend to be clustered together and centered around a specific place or area which draws visitors. That might be downtown with its plethora of visitor attractions, or that might be Brentwood, with its many office parks. There's a great entry at the top of the "Top Questions" on the right side of this page that can help with which part of town in which to stay, but it's mostly hotel centric.

Short term rentals (STR) like AirBnB, VRBO, and FlipKey have no such consistency. They can literally be anywhere in the city. As was stated above, people promoting their STRs will market them using trendy buzzwords and will never mention negatives about the area, just like a real-estate agent. An STR listed as being in "East Nashville" may actually be in a less desirable area that's only sort of near East Nashville. Many areas, including East Nashville and Germantown, have their own hot and cold areas. So an STR may be properly listed as East Nashville, but the listing doesn't tell you that it backs up to an active railroad track and neighbors a public housing project.

I can not stress enough how important it is that you do your research on the specific location of each STR you're considering. With Nashville's rapid redevelopment of depressed areas due to a sky high real estate market, it's very easy to end up in a dangerous situation. Many STRs are listed on multiple sites, so check AirBnB, VRBO, and FlipKey for the same property and read all of the reviews. Use Google Maps' StreetView feature to virtually explore the area on your own. The STR may be beautiful and newly built, but you may see that it's on a street filled with rundown and abandoned shacks. Finally, post the street name and nearest intersection of the STR here on this Nashville forum. We locals can give you our own opinions of the location. We're all volunteers, so please narrow it down to just a few before posting.

@S B, Opryland wouldn't be my first choice, but it can be a good choice for some visitors, especially for longer stays. I wouldn't be so quick to write it off. Downtown is great for a short visit of 3 days or less, but most visitors find themselves wanting to explore other areas of the mid state after that much time of honky tonks and museums. Depending on what a visitor is looking for, downtown may only occupy a day of their time. So a person not interested in downtown, or with a week long stay, may be well served by the Opryland area. Opryland has a selection of chain hotels, plus the Opryland Resort. The hotels are close to the Grand Ole Opry House and Opry Mills Mall. Opryland also has the Nashville Palace honky tonk, and the Willie Nelson & Friends Museum, both are quite good and cater to less of the "wooo! party!" crowd. It's close to The Hermitage, and has easy access to all three major Interstates. There are a few chain restaurants, but dining is really the biggest shortcoming of Opryland.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
3,432 posts
120 reviews
10. Re: AirBnB or Downtown Hotel

Monkey, I'm thinking your post deserves to be it's own top question...