We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Manly

Singapore
Level Contributor
341 posts
122 reviews
Save Topic
Driving to Manly

Hi, I am thinking of driving to Manly for a short stopover on my way down from Port Stephens before returning the rental car at King Cross. Is it convenient? How far is the drive from Manly to Sydney CBD?

6 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,409 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to Manly

It's not too far out of the way from your return route.

Just after Lindfield, I'd take Boundary Street, Warringah Road, Wakehurst Parkway and then Sydney Road.

For your return to the city, take Sydney Road, Spit Road, Military Road, then the Harbour Tunnel to Kings Cross. It's about 15kms. Just punch the route into your GPS

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,409 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to Manly

Late add -

If you're considering doing this, be sure you don't leave it till the afternoon. I'd say anytime after 3pm onwards, would mean your return from Manly is likely to fall into peak hour, and it won't make for very pleasant driving.

Personally, I'd leave Port Stevens in the morning, and spend lunchtime at Manly, maybe go look at North Head, and drive back into the city leisurely.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,832 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving to Manly

Another route from Newcastle that would take you for a pretty drive down past the Northern Beaches is to turn off the Pacific Highway at Mona Vale Rd in Pymble. Follow it to the end. When you get to Pittwater Rd turn right. Pittwater Road will take you along the Noethern Beaches and down to Manly.

I totally agree about not leaving Manly after 3. The traffic can be hideous as it becomes a single lane across the Spit Bridge.

Edited: 11:07 am, December 08, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,409 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving to Manly

Great suggestion Eva, I would take that route you suggested instead. It's much more scenic and easier to follow.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving to Manly

What is your plan? Are you just driving to Port Stephens for the day, or overnight, or a couple of days?

I would think the diversion above could easily add an hour to the trip time. And parking in Manly can be a hassle too. It certainly isn't something I would add to an already very long day trip.

And one of the pleasures of going to Manly is the ferry trip across the harbour top get there, which you will miss by driving. And the trip across on the ferry may only take the same amount of time as the diversion on your drive south.

Singapore
Level Contributor
341 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving to Manly

Thank you all very much for the detailed advices. I can't believe that this thread has slipped out of my radar.

I will be spending a night a Port Stephen but my route will starts from Sydney to Blue Mountains to Cessnock.

Any suggested route or road tips for driving out of Sydney to Blue Mountains on Sunday?

Reply to: Driving to Manly
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted