We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manly Hotels - Building/Refurbishment Works in Oct

England
2 posts
Save Topic
Manly Hotels - Building/Refurbishment Works in Oct

My husband and I will be in Sydney for a week in mid October. We really fancied staying in Manly and had decided (mainly on the basis of Tripadvisor reviews) to stay at the Sebel Manly Beach. However our UK travel agent has warned us that there could be disruption from building work at the next door property, which is being converted, between Feb and Dec. Apparently there will be work going on between 8 am and 4 pm Mon - Sat. We are now unsure what to do - maybe the disruption won't be too bad as its next door and not actually in the hotel. We plan to be out and about during the daytime. On the other hand we don't want to spoil our long-awaited trip to Sydney if the outdoor areas are covered in dust and/or noisy. We had throught about the Pacific Parkroyal but apparently they are having their bar area refurbished at that time - so may well be worse. Is there anyone out there - maybe a local or someone who has visited recently - who can offer any advice ? Thanks in advance for your help

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,388 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manly Hotels - Building/Refurbishment Works in Oct

There IS a big development going on next door to Sebel,I don’t know any other details.

I see there is a new (unfavourable) review for the Sebel,you could PM them for insider view.

Ellemay is the Manly expert-she is away just now but may look in and pick this up.

Builders start at 7.00am here-that means they bang round in their hob nail boots chucking things around from about 6.00. On the stroke of 7.00 all machinery and boom boxes get switched on.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,857 posts
1,348 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manly Hotels - Building/Refurbishment Works in Oct

Hi,

yes I am away at the moment in Helsinki, but I do know they are renovating a large apartment block next door. I guess it will depend on which room you are allocated to. I would e-mail the above post to them and ask if they can guarantee you a room without the noise.

The Sebel is in a fab position and has the new restaurant downstairs which is great. I would ask for a room on the north corner - looking towards Queenscliff beach.

The other suggestion is staying at the Quest Grande Apartments overlooking Manly Cove and the harbour. Or finding an apartment overlooking Nth Steyne Beach. Have a look at

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255060-d257487/Sydne…

for additional info on accommodation in Manly.

England
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Manly Hotels - Building/Refurbishment Works in Oct

Thanks for your replies. I had already emailed the Sebel and they didn't seem able to guarentee a quiet room so I think we are going to book an apartment at the Quest Grand Esplanade. Just had a look at their website and they look really nice - also a lot cheaper than the Sebel ! Thanks again

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,857 posts
1,348 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Manly Hotels - Building/Refurbishment Works in Oct

You will enjoy the esplanade...although they are not on the surf beach they still offer great views over the harbour...I would ask for Manly Cove beach view...otherwise you will get just a street view. Try and get a higher floor too, as the lower floors can be noisy on Sat/ friday nights.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
523 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Manly Hotels - Building/Refurbishment Works in Oct

Hi Sarah

If you want absolute quiet and have a car, you can consider staying in the new Sands Hotel at Narrabeen. Ask for a room away from the main road. Narra is a quiet unspoilt beach unlike the busy and touristy Manly.

However the hotel is more on the budget side. But its food prices are reasonable.

Cheers

Beach Babe

6. Re: Manly Hotels - Building/Refurbishment Works in Oct

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 pm, September 04, 2009