We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accomodation for 3 nights

Auckland, Auckland...
Level Contributor
31 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Accomodation for 3 nights

I am hoping someone can shed some light, I am seeking accomodation for 3 nights hopefully in this area as it is where my daughter will be living. I am unsure of what are close surrounding areas but so far have had no luck finding affordable rooms. I am happy to spend up to $130 per night am I dreaming?? A twin room would be ideal as I am coming for a friend. I will have no car and will be relying on public transport. I am flying in and out.

15 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,054 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accomodation for 3 nights

Not much in the area and generally overpriced.

Not flash but clean is the Sutherland Motel.

Avoid the motel on th Kinsgway (sorry can't remember the name)

Maybe a Quest Studio if you are very lucky?

Sydney
Level Contributor
33 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accomodation for 3 nights

I think you are going to struggle at those dollars and my recommendation would also have been Quest apartments but have a look at the local tourist website to see if anything else appeals.

http://www.sutherlandshireaustralia.com.au/

I am happy to answer any follow up questions if need be as I know the area reasonably well but not had need for much accommodation other than for business/conference purpose in which case it has been at the higher end of the $ range.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,054 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accomodation for 3 nights

I just looked back at an old thread by Raw Talent (he never came back and gave us a TR (maybe hasn't travelled yet?)

he was looking at Seabreeze BnB .

I know the area pretty well too and have had the (mis) fortune of being inside a few of the accom places. Haven't been in Seabreeze though. Looks Ok from outside.

Auckland, Auckland...
Level Contributor
31 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accomodation for 3 nights

Thank you for you help so far, Seabreeze I have checked out, looks a bit aged for the $. I have searched the Sutherland Motel, clean and looks good, but it is 1.8km from train. Do you have any info on the Metro Hotel in Miranda, price looks good as do the rooms, looks close to Cronulla on the train map I am using to help me know where places are!

Sydney
Level Contributor
33 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accomodation for 3 nights

I honestly can't comment on the Metro Hotel on the cnr of the Kingsway at Miranda so perhaps look at the accommodation reviews on TA to see what/if anything is said on each of the options. Miranda is about a 10 minute drive to Cronulla and train stops between you & Cronulla are Caringbah & Woolooware. I think you will need to consider what time of day/night you might be going to/from Cronulla. If at night I would not be recommending the train. I would be suggesting a taxi or getting your daughter to drop you back to Miranda. If a taxi then you probably should factor that into the cost and put it towards the accommodation. Sutherland is about 20minute drive of an evening to/from Cronulla. Neither Miranda or Sutherland are going to have the atmosphere of staying down around Cronulla although Miranda has giant Westfield if that is your thing.

Auckland, Auckland...
Level Contributor
31 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accomodation for 3 nights

I appreciate the insight of keeping off the train late evening, thank you.

I think I need to concentrate on the Cronulla area which is seriously overpriced especially going by TA reviews (which are invaluable!)

I am still searching. Thanks again JJ Mck and Guruswife.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accomodation for 3 nights

The Sutherland Motel is really a road motel just off the Princes Highway coming into town. It is an awkward walk to the station.

In Sutherland the pub (Boyles Hotel) does accommodation, and some of it is recently renovated, and it is within your price range, and at least you know what you are paying for. The pub is right by the station. The train from Sutherland to Cronulla runs every 15 minutes and takes just over 10 minutes to get there. Trains run to the city every ten minutes, and take between 35 and 45 minutes to get there.

Miranda Metro is right opposite Miranda fair on the Kingsway, and a fairly generic motel style. This may be within your price range too.

Cronulla has more atmosphere than Sutherland or Miranda, with the beach and the mall. You'll have no problem getting a meal at night with a choice of restaurants and take-aways etc in either Sutherland or Miranda. But again, the Sutherland Motel is a little removed from that.

Auckland, Auckland...
Level Contributor
31 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Accomodation for 3 nights

Thanks inas66 Boyles looks good and location too. Thanks for the heads up about atmosphere. My daughter is not there yet, will be in a couple of weeks and unfortunately she is in a flating / appartment situation so space is scarce for extra's hence the accomodation drive.

Guruswife my appologies, I relooked at the Seabreeze, I had it confused with another BnB it looks nice / clean

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,054 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Accomodation for 3 nights

Yeah i was surprised.

I didn't recc Boyles as it suffers from LOTS of street noise, people not cars, into the wee hours esp bad on Friday and Sat nights. (Yes Sutherland Motel gets a bit of road noise). We've had the same friends stay at both in recent months (very budget conscious travellers) and they preferred Motel (which was why I reccommended it) No one has ever emntioned a problem with the walk, and I've done it with them. It seems OK to me. But then what suits one may not be right for another.

I'd check with Boyles re the location of the room. Maybe they just got abad gig?

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Accomodation for 3 nights

Boyles itself is a fairly sedate place. I don't think they have any gigs there at all, do they?

There is the nightclub across the road, which I understand does get a bit busy on Friday and Sat nights, but last I looked it was closed for renovations, but it may be open again now. It doesn't open until after my bedtime though, so I'd have no idea about any noise from that, although I'm sure GW and the Guru are there Gangnam Style until the early hours and could advise!

I don't think the Sutherland Motel is really too far to walk from the station. It's just you can't pop outside for a meal or a takeaway, you've got to walk up the hill to the shops, etc.

Reply to: Accomodation for 3 nights
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cronulla