We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ocean Palm Motel Has Anyone Stayed There?

Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Topic
Ocean Palm Motel Has Anyone Stayed There?

I was recently was in Florida and went to Haulover Beach and loved it. It of course is a Nude beach. It was suggested that I stay at Ocean Palm Hotel in Sunny Isle. I know this is a low budget motel, but is very close within walking distance to Haulover Beach. My only concern is the cleaniness of the motel and if there are any BIG bugs or roaches in the motel. I'm absoutely terrified of roaches. Should I pick another motel, prehaps Best Western Thunderbird? It has some decent reviews, but a little bit more $$. I'm also planning on renting a car. Any idea of the cost to part at Ocean Palm? Any suggestions would help. I'll be going around the end of July or early August.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
2 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ocean Palm Motel Has Anyone Stayed There?

Did you get an answer about Ocean Palms Hotel. We've been to Haulover Beach a couple of times, and saw the hotel, but just last week spoke with a friend who had stayed there. He said, as you did, that it is a low budget motel, but we didn't think to ask about the cleanliness. Now we want to go back to Haulover in October, and we're trying to find out about the motel. I saw your post and wondered if you stayed or what you found out. Also, do you have a phone number or address, or even a web site for the motel? Thanks Rita

Louisiana
Level Contributor
2 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ocean Palm Motel Has Anyone Stayed There?

Did you get an answer about Ocean Palms Hotel. We've been to Haulover Beach a couple of times, and saw the hotel, but just last week spoke with a friend who had stayed there. He said, as you did, that it is a low budget motel, but we didn't think to ask about the cleanliness. Now we want to go back to Haulover in October, and we're trying to find out about the motel. I saw your post and wondered if you stayed or what you found out. Also, do you have a phone number or address, or even a web site for the motel? Thanks Rita

eitelborn, Germany
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Ocean Palm Motel Has Anyone Stayed There?

We have stayed there at least for 15 years. Yes, it is a low budget motel, but right at the beach and at respectable distance to the nude area. They do have a heated pool with a nice area around.

Most recently the motel suffers the TRUMP construction of high rise buildings, coming closer and closer. No question, one day it will we removed and integrated into he TRUMP area. I. Strawderman, the owner, is like 76 years old, a very social person, hence, his employees are still those of 15 years ago. He told me, that he will sell the property if the offer will be what he wants (pretty much).

We will try again in December, if the place still exists.

We have no real concern regarding the cleanliness, the crew keeps it in pretty reasonable condition. However, repairs and further investments are postponed due to the TRUNP "attack".

We feel very sorry, that places like the ocean palm disappear from sunny isles beach. These high rise buildings have no real character and no social life. The beach suffers shadows in the afternoon, so that one must move with the sun to avoid lying in the shadow. Really strange politics of the sunny isles authorities as the future will appear like these high rise down-towns??

Barbara and Wolfgang from Germany

Arkansas
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ocean Palm Motel Has Anyone Stayed There?

Ocean Palm does not charge for parking; guests are given a parking permit to be displayed on the dashboard and parking is very tight, sometimes requiring one to back out along the narrow access. Its key feature is proximity to Haulover Beach. Accommodations are minimal (this is an older property) and you're likely to be disappointed, but they do have a small microwave and

refrigerator (older models). Rooms and beds are small, but Ocean Palm offers a full cable TV lineup, there's coffee in the (small) lobby

and small quantities of ice available on request. Guests are given keys to the gate for pool/beach access with about a 5-minute walk to Haulover. Again, its key feature is closeness to Haulover. Occasionly, they might have pests, but are not generally overrun with them. Did i mention its best feature is its location relating to Haulover Beach? Also, the price is probably one of the best in the area, if not the best.

sim
Sunny Isles Beach,FL
Level Contributor
521 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ocean Palm Motel Has Anyone Stayed There?

Well, that day is here.

City has approved it's demolishon at the October meeting.

New condo that is being proposed will start at about 5million and up.

Sunny Isles Beach is the new Florida's Riviera.

Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ocean Palm Motel Has Anyone Stayed There?

I haven't been to this forum in quite sometime and was surprised to get so many answers to my reply, but unfortunately I had already left ,I had great time, however as expected Ocean Palm was somewhat of what I expected which was pretty bad. It was clean and I didn't see any bugs thank goodness otherwise I would have packed my bags. I was actually quite surprised I didn't with all the gapping holes in the floors and moldings, & plumbing. I aked the guy at the check in desk about the bugs and he said well it's Florida. He did put me on the second floor so that might have helped. I also slept with the light on in the bathroom with the door closed and didn't get up during the night. Anyway enough about the bugs. The beach is as stated so convient to nude beach well within walking distance. The beach at Ocean Palm is also nice not crowded like some of the other beach properties at other hotels like Newport with lots of kids! Too noisy for me. Would I stay there again, yes and take my chances. Parking is free, but really tight and most always there is a space to be had. Closely located to all the shops and malls and Hollywood Beach where I have friends. I was planning on going back around April 29, but maybe it will be gone according to the other post. Does anyone know when the demolition will actually take place? I suppose I could call them. They have no web site, and I do have a brochure and phone number around here somewhere. They are listed and I will try to find it and get back with you.

Sunny Isles Beach,FL
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Ocean Palm Motel Has Anyone Stayed There?

Ocean Palm is one of the last Motels to survive on the oceanfront of Sunny Isles (Dade County), Florida, which is becoming more and more "shaddy Isles because of all the Trumptowers beeing built there on the ocen.

I am not quite sure, what "low budget" means: I think that depends on how much money you have to spend and Florida has become pretty expensive lately. There they charge about 90 bucks for a so called "Standard Efficiency" and up to 140$ on "Ocean Front" in February 2007, which is the peak season.

Ocean Palm Motel is directly "on" the ocean and only footsteps from Florida's only oficially "cloth optional" (nude) beach. If that is not a big "attraction" so tell me why the Haulover parking facility makes over a million dollar in fees (5$) year round, without investing much

in other facilities: only now the started to built new bathrooms, which seems to take more time than to build the highrises allaround!

Rooms are simple, clean: efficient. The staff mostly very friendly (exceptions occur). Parking and a simple breakfast is indluded.

We send all our friends there.

Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Ocean Palm Motel Has Anyone Stayed There?

I called Ocean Palm last week to see if they would still be there in late April & early May. The man who answered the phone with "Hello" and nothing else, I asked if this was the Ocean Palm and he said, "yes" I asked if they would be open in April and he said, "we are not going anywhere". So who knows, maybe he didn't know about the approval for demolition? Anyway, I will continue to check as we get closer to April before booking my reservation. Certaintly don't want to get there and the motel is no longer there. I'm bummed out about the possibilities, as it's just so convenient to Haulover Beach. If any one knows any further updates on demolition, please let me know. Thanks

Belgium
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Ocean Palm Motel Has Anyone Stayed There?

Helo

I read a couple of weeks ago on a naturist site a report of an Haulover and the Ocean Palm visit.

The writer spoked to the manager and this one said that the motel will stay open for at least one year. The report was from february or january 2007.

My wife and i will go to the Haulover area the second half of october so we also like to stay at the Motel. It will be our fifth holyday spent at the Haulover area and hopefully at Ocean Palm.

The site where i found the report was: http://www.netnude.com/

Marc

NEW ORLEANS
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ocean Palm Motel Has Anyone Stayed There?

We're taking our chances and we booked for a long Easter weekend at the Ocean Palm Motel. Hoping to make the most of Haulover Beach. Any recommendations on meals nearby or night entertainment?

Get answers to your questions about Sunny Isles Beach