We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Decameron los cocos

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Rincon de Guayabitos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lynn Lake, Canada
Level Contributor
84 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Decameron los cocos

I am trying to book a holiday and wondering if I have made a good choice.

My husband are going to travel to Mexico the week I between Christmas and New Years. It will be our honeymoon. We know Mexico is expensive and busy at that time of year, as we went to playacar last year at that time.

We prefer the west coast to the east coast of Mexico, and really enjoyed puerto Vallarta two years ago.

We want somewhere relaxing, with real Mexican food, basic amenities, a pool, the beach. Not so many obnoxious tourists.

We are think going of going to the Decameron. It seems small enough. And quite enough. I would ideally like to book a hotel and airfare separately but because of cost that is not possible, the all inclusive of this is almost cheaper then just the airfare to Mexico for us.

What are some things I may not like or I may like of this hotel?

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
296 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Decameron los cocos

Being Xmas it will be busy with Mexicans from Guadalajara coming in for the holidays. Still less wild than PV. I would say book the superior room for sure. The added room and quieter adult pools is worth the $10-15 a day trust me.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,429 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Decameron los cocos

We were there at xmas to new years a few years ago- and I have never been somewhere that was so crowded with people as that town beach. It was elbow to elbow people.

The hotel was also packed to the gills, to the point where there was long lineups to get into the buffets for dinner and if you didn't go early they actually were running out of food. Would not be on my list for a return trip, especially during that week or at Easter, therefore.

We 'escaped' to San Pancho for two full days where it was very quiet on the beach, and wished we had rented a condo there instead, although Guayabitos has a much nice beach for swimming.

One tip would be to get a room in Cocos 4 and not one of the beach sections. as it is a bit quieter up there.

Calgary
Level Contributor
378 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Decameron los cocos

As you know about anywhere in Mexico is going to be busy and more expensive at that time.

However, if you should want to eat out the cost is about 1/3 to 1/2 less than PV and "almost free" compared to Playacar and Cancun.

Los Cocos has 5 buildings and as both posters have recommended- go to Cocos 4. It is a 2 short block walk to the beach, quieter, better rooms. It has it's own bar and restaurant, althoughthe main restaurant is on the beach.

The resort is incredibly clean and the staff are just superb.

I would say a 3* hotel with 4* food.

Guayabitos is between 2 places- Los Ayala to the south ( you can walk there and Cocos has a beach club there) and La Penita- the commercial town- has a bank etc.

Mexican experience for sure.

The beach is long and very flat- great for walking and swimming.

We have spent 7 winters in Guayabitos. After taking 3 X 2 week trips to Los Cocos I said to my wife that's all- let's drive down and spend the winter in Guayabitos.

San Pancho- quiet and deadly quiet in the off season- pounding waves makes the beach un-swimmable.

Send me an email if you need more information.

Lynn Lake, Canada
Level Contributor
84 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Decameron los cocos

Well so far I'm feeling its a good choice for us.

We have stayed at dreams PV, crown paradise with my family, and iberostar playacar. All were nice. The food was the best at dreams. All had comfortable accommodations. But we always felt the choices for Mexican foods was limited. The real cultural experience was lacking. And the rich annoying tourist that were rude and demanding were annoying to be around. I'm looking for a clean place, with Mexican food options. We are not big drinkers and could care less if its top shelf. My husband loves talking to fisherman, and he cant swim so we need an area with a decent tide. I just was a beach, and a towel...

Is there anything to do at the resort or near by?

Edited: 12:19 am, June 13, 2013
Calgary
Level Contributor
378 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Decameron los cocos

Things to do-bike ride (Cocos has bikes), tennis ( courts in residential zone) golf ( a 9-holer 15 minutes south- rental available) horseback riding, hiking,gym,explore the town- Mexican flavour-volleyball,basketball court, tiangis ( market) in La Penita on Thursday - a must do, beach club in Los Ayala- (Cocos program), fishing, whale watching.

Probably many more. The beach is gentle and a good walk.

Calgary
Level Contributor
370 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Decameron los cocos

Calgary Oakside, We have never been to Guayabitos but have considered it a few times. Are you serious about the food being 1/2 or 1/3 the price in PV? Our usual meals in PV are around 100 pesos($8 per meal) for a good meal. So are you saying a good meal can be had for 35 to 50 pesos in Rincon? If so, we will have to consider it for our next trip. We usually rent condos or stay in Mexican hotels, do you have a price range for those in the Guayabitos area? And maybe some suggestions.

Lynn Lake, Canada
Level Contributor
84 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Decameron los cocos

Sold! This place sounds perfect for us...now to book. Thanks everyone

Calgary
Level Contributor
378 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Decameron los cocos

Tepalover- i have sent you a pm.

9. Re: Decameron los cocos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, June 16, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Rincon de Guayabitos