We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bottled water=ok but what about ice?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Bottled water=ok but what about ice?

See title. I've not read anything here about the ice being unsafe, but the bottled water advice stirs my curiosity.

Also: has any of you fellow travelers experienced, uh, digestive tract issues while in Guayabitos or shortly after?

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,965 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bottled water=ok but what about ice?

Hi again: I've actually stayed at Los Cocos myself (last summer). Whatever you consume in the restaurants, bars, etc., (including ice) will be fine. No worries. They use ice made with purified or bottled water. And, in the rooms, brush your teeth with bottled water. When we were there I ended up buying extra water at a local little store. I had no digestive problems after being there, except that I ate too much.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bottled water=ok but what about ice?

Wonderful. Thanks again!

Alberta
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Bottled water=ok but what about ice?

Hey there! I just returned from Decameron Los Cocos on the 6th last saturday, and I didn't get sick at all! Not during or shortly after. Just make sure the ice cubes have circle holes in them, then you're totally fine. I was just there so if you have any more questions or want to see photos, don't hesitate to ask! :o)

Mentioned in this post
Decameron Los Cocos
Decameron Los Cocos
1,093 Reviews
Rincon de Guayabitos, Mexico
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bottled water=ok but what about ice?

Hello BahamaBreeze. Thanks for your offer and I'll take you up on it.

Question: is there anything special we should think of bringing? I saw the posts suggesting to "bring earplugs" (ok), "bring a mug or a Big Gulp" (ok), "bring a boogie board" (ok). Anything else ?

That's about it. I trust we'll enjoy our trip. I looooove this site!

you can write me directly at teacherfred@hotmail.com. Cheers!

Alberta
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Bottled water=ok but what about ice?

No problem! Yes, take big cups, you can take earplugs, but it mostly is needed for cocos 1 or 2 or 3 where most of the noises occur. If you are not taking kids then i highly recommend you to stay in cocos 4 then you might not need earplugs. ask for cocos 4 the first thing u get there and if its not full they will give it to u hopefully! the only noisy thing in cocos 4 is air conditioning cuz theyre quite old and the highway behind our hotel, but theyre more like white noise so you can sleep through it. you also can turn the air conditoning off at night time if you leave it on all day (you wont get too hot)

pack LIGHT. i honestly wore bathing suit and maybe 3 shirts (the whole week) and skirts like serong (wrap around) most of the time. so if you pack light, then you can take your own beach towel, because you have to walk to cocos 1 everyday to get a towel and return them before 6...i found it pain in the butt...so if u pack light then have some room for one light easy beach towel. (you will have to pay if you lose the blue towel or whatsoever of course lol)

oh boogie boards...umm you can buy them at the stores probably for 10 bucks...and easily can take them on the bus to the beach club...but its really tough bringing it home back to canada. so just check on the list when u sign up for the bus: see how many ppl have signed up and there are about 10 boogie boards at the club. then get on the bus and sit in the very front so when you guys get off walk fast to the little building right by the bathroom and ask for boogie boards and you will liekly get them first. some days will be REALLY busy at the beach club with all of the tourists stayin at the hotel, or sometimes its only 10 ppl and RARELY any locals that live on the beach, go to the beach while we're there. the beach is huge...so theres nothing to worry about being packed like the public beach in front of our hotel.

oh...la penita market on thursdays....we didnt bother going because it is absoutely packed. it is almost same stuff as you find in the town in the little shops and it gets so hot so all the ppl that were there before us said its a waste of time. but you can still go if you like.

im sure i have other things to tell u but i cant think of any right now! keep asking any questions!!! :o) anytime.

Get answers to your questions about Rincon de Guayabitos