We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

christmas vacation

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Medicine Hat, Canada
Level Contributor
187 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
christmas vacation

we have booked a place for two weeks at christmas but arriving late on the 24th....are there any stores open late on the 24th or even 25th so we can get some groceries for the house we are staying at or even any restaurants open then? we have nver been there before so not sure about the layout much.

Rincon de...
Level Contributor
179 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: christmas vacation

Without knowing where you are staying or what time "late" is, here's my first attempt at answering your questions...

If you are staying in the Hotel Zone of Guayabitos there are several mercados (grocery stores) within walking distance. During the Christmas holiday, most of them stay open until 9pm or so. Most everything should be open on Christmas day as well.

If you are staying in the Residential Zone of Guayabitos, there are no stores nearby. You'll have to drive, taxi or walk 10-15 minutes to the Hotel Zone. If you are staying in La Penita, there are plenty of mercados along main street and they stay open until 9pm or so.

Hope this helps.

Allyson in Jaltemba Bay, Mexico

Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,494 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: christmas vacation

Christmas is not the Mega event in Mexico that it is at home. Late at night is a bit of a problem any night in a small town for food. Christmas day you will find most things open for much of the day. The town was busier to be sure at Christmas but it is a very long beach with plenty of room for lots and lots of people . In a similar small town near Acapulco we saw the fellas at a local small time furniture factory work till 6 pm on Christmas Day. Enjoy !

Cloverdale
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: christmas vacation

Can anyone till me if there are any sort of celebrations that happen for Christmas or New Years. - we were there in Jan of this year and are considering over the Holidays this time,.

Rincon de...
Level Contributor
179 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: christmas vacation

Here is a link to the local calendar (Guayabitos, La Penita and Los Ayala) for December. It includes both holidays and community events... jaltembabaylife.com/eventcalendar.php…

Be sure to check back often, as it is updated frequently.

Allyson in Jaltemba Bay (Guayabitos, La Penita and Los Ayala)

Bainbridge Island...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: christmas vacation

Greetings! A cab company quoted me $220 to get 7 people from the Vallarta Airport to Guyabitos. Other suggestions?

Thanks,

Tom

Rincon de...
Level Contributor
179 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: christmas vacation

I assume you mean $220 USD. I just took a taxi van from the PV airport this afternoon (none of our friends nor my regular driver were heading in). I was charged $1,000 pesos at the taxi booth inside the airport (for the ride from PV to Guayabitos). They have a flat fee for zones, and this is approximately the same rate as I've been charged in the past. I had two small-medium sized bags, my small dog and his kennel with me. Keep in mind that they will likely charge more for additional people and extra luggage for this same distance. If you consider that the trip is about 1.5 hours each direction, and that the driver will be on the road for 3 hours, it doesn't seem so out of line considering the cost of gas, the driver's time, and that this is a one-way fare. If you were to arrange for a local taxi driver from Guayabitos to pick you up, you would have to get two taxis at around $800 pesos each.

Edited: 8:08 pm, October 25, 2011
Winnipeg
Level Contributor
296 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: christmas vacation

Your best bet is to walk out the first doors you see when you exit the airport. The Cabbies will be on you and you should get a Suburban for all 7 or you or a van for about 1200 pesos without much problem.

Have fun

Rincon de...
Level Contributor
179 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: christmas vacation

I believe you still have to stop and pay at the taxi stands INside the airport to get a taxi (that's what I've always done). The airport taxis are all union, and I don't believe you can walk outside and grab a taxi on your own without pre-paying inside first, but I could be wrong. If anyone knows different, please let me know.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
296 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: christmas vacation

Its actually gone both ways for us Allyson. Sometimes the driver will ask you to other times he will go in and tell the window people. I do beleive thats how he jacks the price a little haha. Only the one time they made me go back to the window.

10. Re: christmas vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, October 31, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Rincon de Guayabitos