We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Decameron Los Cocos - Booked - few more questions :)

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
412 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Decameron Los Cocos - Booked - few more questions :)

We are heading to Decameron on Thurs. April 7th for a week. Looking forward to it. It will be our 6th Decameron :)

We have booked the superior room, as a lot of the reviews state it is the most quiet and has the adult pool.

Are the beach towels sufficient or should we bring our own?

Do you know if you can rent a mini fridge?

Read somewhere that the hotel does not accept American $'s - we have never come across that. Confirming the staff has no problem receiving tips in American $?

We don't fly out until 10:00 p.m. the day we leave. Are you given a spot to shower and change?

At meal time, one of the Decameron's put you with others at the same table. We are looking for a quiet vacation alone, just the 2 of us and would rather eat alone. Does this Decameron do that?

Think that's it!

Thanks very much,

Ruth

Rincon de...
Level Contributor
179 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Decameron Los Cocos - Booked - few more questions :)

Ruth, I can't answer the questions about Los Cocos as I've never stayed there. I can, however, give you information about tipping. You should use pesos for everything... after all you will be in Mexico. If you do decide to tip in dollars instead, keep in mind that the locals have to pay to exchange those dollars into pesos just like you would.

To find more information about the area, check out the new community website... www.JaltembaBayLife.com

Safe travels!

Allyson

JaltembaBayLife.com

A community website for Rincon de Guayabitos, La Penita, Los Ayala, and La Colonia

Edmonton
Level Contributor
66 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Decameron Los Cocos - Booked - few more questions :)

Ruth: Enjoy your time in paradise. The beach towels supplied are sufficient, no need for your own.

Tip in peso's as exchanging american money is next to impossible with the new laws in place that allow only a certain amount of american money to be exchanged. I believe it's 40 dollars.

Mini fridge- No

Late flight out - You can book a time for a room to shower and change before you leave.

If the resort is busy with lots of people staying you may be asked to share your table with other guests.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
412 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Decameron Los Cocos - Booked - few more questions :)

Thanks to both of you for your replies. I will get pesos, then, for sure. We usually tip $1 U.S. each time we tip - what would that be in pesos? We like to leave the maid $1 U.S. per day and something else, like lipstick, earrings, etc. and then we tip throughout the day - just don't know what to give?

Thanks again,

Ruth

Edmonton
Level Contributor
66 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Decameron Los Cocos - Booked - few more questions :)

$1 is equal give or take a few cents to 10 pesos

Rincon de...
Level Contributor
179 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Decameron Los Cocos - Booked - few more questions :)

There are some general Tipping Guidelines here on the JaltembaBayLife.com site (http://www.jaltembabaylife.com/money). You'll also find information on banks, ATMs, maps, and more.

The exchange rate is currently about 12 pesos to $1 USD

Allyson

JaltembaBayLife.com

A community website for Rincon de Guayabitos, La Penita, Los Ayala, and La Colonia

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
926 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Decameron Los Cocos - Booked - few more questions :)

Hello there,

I believe people will accept tips in American currency, but because I wonder why you would tip in American money (I see that you are Canadian). It would seem like a waste of everyone's money for you to lose money exchanging your Canadian dollar(s) into American, and then for the Waiter at DLC to lose more on an exchange from American to Peso......Similarly, a Canadian Waiter would probably accept your tip in American dollars, but would prefer to receive tips in the local currency.

We always bring Pesos, and usually hit a bank machine as soon as we arrive (and carry over a few for the next trip back to Mexico so we can start tipping as soon as we arrive).

I've heard there is no ATM in Rincon - so this may be a slight problem. Perhaps someone else could speak to that, as I'd be curious to know how far I'll have to venture from the DLC in order to withdraw from an ATM.......

Rincon de...
Level Contributor
179 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Decameron Los Cocos - Booked - few more questions :)

There are three ATMs in Guayabitos:

1) Pemex Station (east side of Hwy. 200 between Guayabitos and La Penita)

2) Retorno Laureles (between Playa Linda Condominiums and Villas Buena Vida Hotel)

3) Crico Mercado (east side of Avenida del Sol Nuevo, at Jacarandas)

Things change, but these were all working at the end of last season.

Allyson

JaltembaBayLife.com, a community website for Guayabitos, La Penita and Los Ayala

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
296 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Decameron Los Cocos - Booked - few more questions :)

Hola Ruth

Everything answered for you has been accurate. The only thing I will add if you want to keep some drinks and water cold in your room. Stop at any of the stores nearby and pick up a syrofoam cooler and bag of ice. That should keep a few drinks cool for you. Enjoy

9. Re: Decameron Los Cocos - Booked - few more questions :)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 pm, October 24, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Rincon de Guayabitos