We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alta Vista petroglyphs

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Robbinsdale...
Level Contributor
319 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Alta Vista petroglyphs

Hola-

Man, we need some ACTION in this forum....we are interested in visiting the petroglyphs site. If there is a way to do it self guided ( I have read it's hard to find ) or who we can hook up with to take us there- please let me know...gracias...

Iowa
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Alta Vista petroglyphs

OK, here is some action. I have been to the site twice and it is fantastic. It costs 15 pesos/person to the curator to enter. There are no signs and it is extremely hard to find. Essentially, go up the road off Hwy 200 toward Alta Vista and take a left then down a dirt road and take a right and down into a canyon/valley and river grotto. Sorry but I do not have the distances. Here is what I did: Drove to the town of Alta Vista about eight miles uproad. Its way up there on the hill. I asked around for a guide to the petroglyphs and a little girl connected us to a fella in his 20s named Valente. He spoke very little English, but for $20US he went with us back to the site and gave us a tour. It was well worth it. Then we drove him back and gave him a $5 tip. Good luck.

Robbinsdale...
Level Contributor
319 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alta Vista petroglyphs

barnbuster...muchas gracias, thats what I'm talkin 'bout...action....first timers to San Pancho, been going to Tulum area for a long time, got too crowded. Any other cool day trips, tips on stuff in general are always welcome. And no Iowa jokes from me...today...DanoMSP

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
578 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alta Vista petroglyphs

Chalaca for the day is fun...an authentic, rustic Mexican village with a great beach with restaurants, 40 minutes north. San Blas is about 1.5-2 hrs north...there is a great nature tour through a mangrove swamp inhabited with lots of birds and crocodiles called El Tovar. The market on thursday in La Penita is large and very Mexican...worth checking out, and you can get a great breakfast or lunch afterwards at Xaltemba on the plaza. A day on the beach in Sayulita is lots of fun unless you are going during a busy time...too crowded then, I'd skip it. Another nice beach is Distilladeros on the road to Punta Mita (about 30 minutes south.) I'd skip the volcano, but go for the petroglyphs.

PS: you may not want to leave San Pancho much!

also, if you like to hike, there are great hikes in the SP jungle

Robbinsdale...
Level Contributor
319 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alta Vista petroglyphs

galeriacorazon....

Gracias, yes we do like hiking, and thanks for the day trip stuff...sounds like Chalaca is our kind of place....

5. Re: Alta Vista petroglyphs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 pm, September 15, 2009
Get answers to your questions about San Francisco