We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Criccieth & Llanystumdwy Questions

Greenwich...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Criccieth & Llanystumdwy Questions

First time visiting Criccieth and Llanystumdwy, Wales and I have a few questions: 1) Is there a train from London that will take me straight to Criccieth or Llanystumdwy? Or should I just fly? 2) Is there a train in Criccieth that can take me to Llanystumdwy? 3) Would it be better to just stay in Criccieth and do an exercsion to Llanystumdwy and other nearby places? Initially I thought of staying in Llanystumdwy a week or so because it is supposedly a very quiet village. (I don't mind staying in a village where things are on the slow/quiet side -- the less excitement the better as I am going purely for contemplation, rest and relaxtion.) However, I'm not sure if transportation in and out of Llanystumdwy is easy. I DON'T DRIVE...and I can't imagine I can walk. I need to make sure wherever I stay I can get to some kind of meals. Suggestion or comments would be welcomed. Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Llanystumdwy
Llanystumdwy
Gwynedd, UK
Wales
Wales
United Kingdom
4 replies to this topic
middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,604 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Criccieth & Llanystumdwy Questions

Trains from London Euston to Criccieth take just over 6 hours and involve a change of trains at Birmingham International and sometimes Machynlleth. There is no station at Llanystumdwy, indeed there is really nothing there at all except a reminder that it was place where David Lloyd George lived until he was 16, and he is buried there. A bus service connects Porthmadog with Pwllheli via Criccieth and Llanystumdwy, Arriva service 3.

www.arrivabus.co.uk/serviceInformation.aspx…

The rail line runs on from Criccieth to Pwllheli, where the station is central in the town, and bus services to the west of the peninsula.

Mentioned in this post
Llanystumdwy
Llanystumdwy
Gwynedd, UK
Porthmadog
Porthmadog
Gwynedd, UK
Pwllheli
Pwllheli
Gwynedd, UK
Greenwich...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Criccieth & Llanystumdwy Questions

Thank you! Very helpful. Perhaps staying somewhere else and making Llanystumdwy a stop would probably be best. I don't want to feel stranded in Llanystumdwy. Thanks again.

Mentioned in this post
Llanystumdwy
Llanystumdwy
Gwynedd, UK
Oswestry, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Criccieth & Llanystumdwy Questions

I was in Llanystumdwy just the other day and it is indeed a fairly quiet place. However if it is peace and tranquillity you are after I can really recommend the river walk there. A well defined path runs alongside the river for about 2 miles and there are several quiet places to just sit and contemplate amongst the lush vegetation. It is one of the nicest river walks I have been on. There is a pub in the village which is open evenings only. If you want a real Welsh welcome then that is the place to go and the food is pretty good as well.

In fact Criccieth is not that far away. If you like walking then there are at least 3 different walks from Llanystumdwy. The shortest (approx.1- 2 miles) is alongside the main road, but it is a proper paved footpath. Other options are the coast path or minor roads.

If you are coming by train investigate the travel passes available which would give you unlimited rail/bus travel. If you wanted to take advantage of those it would be best to base yourself in Criccieth or better still Porthmadog. From Porthmadog you have access to Caernarvon, Blaneau Ffestiniog, Harlech and the Llyn peninsula.

We are regular visitors to that area and we love it.

Mentioned in this post
Llanystumdwy
Llanystumdwy
Gwynedd, UK
Porthmadog
Porthmadog
Gwynedd, UK
Blaenau Ffestiniog...
Level Contributor
6 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Criccieth & Llanystumdwy Questions

Criccieth is a quiet seaside resort, nothing better than an early morning/or evening walk along the beach.

Reply to: Criccieth & Llanystumdwy Questions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Criccieth