We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Info needed...

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
283 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Info needed...

Hello~

We are planning a trip to memphis(graceland) in April. We thought that we might stay overnight. From what I've been reading about a safe /family friendly/ good neighborhood/should we just take a quick tour of Memphis and move on up the interstate toward Nashville before we stop for the night?

Thanks a lot!

OhioTrav

Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Info needed...

What is your question? Whether you should spend the night here after touring Graceland or drive another 4 hours to Nashville? Graceland could take a whole day, depending on your interest. So I guess it depends on what time you get out, and if you want to be driving at night to Nashville. If there is nothing else in Memphis that you want to see, then there isn't much point in staying here, but I think that's at your discretion. There are lots of good neighborhoods here for you to spend a night in, but it seems like if you are not interested in doing anything else in Memphis, there is no point in staying here through the evening and night.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
283 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Info needed...

Pearlbob~

There are a few other items we wanted to check out: Gibson factory, Pyramid arena, Peabody hotel possibly Mud Island. We probably can't do all this and Graceland in one day. I dont know. From what I had been reading you need to be careful as to where you stay: neighborhoods change quickly, graceland area not too safe. In your opinion, where would be a good place to stay. It doesn't have to be 4 stars, since we tend to use it for sleep only, just a safe area and clean.

Thanks

OhioTrav

Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Info needed...

Graceland will take half a day. Gibson tours are either on the hour or half hour (I can't remember), a few times a day, and you have to purchase tickets. It's about an hour or more. The Pyramid is closed.....it's an old arena that used to have concerts and basketball, but there is nothing there anymore. I believe this weekend they are having the final concert ever there. Mud Island is a large outdoor area that has a museum, that could take a couple hours to walk around. The Peabody is a hotel - what do you want to see there? The ducks? They do the duck march at 10am and 5pm I think. Plus, you need to take into consideration all the time it will take to walk around to these places. I think you're looking at 2 days if you want to do all that. And you'd have to stay downtown, to be near things, or else add another couple hours for travel during the day.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
283 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Info needed...

pearlbob~

Thanks for the info! Good to know about the Pyramid. Peabody~we thought it might be neat to see the ducks but not a must do. So if we stay downtown, where would you suggest?

Thanks again!

OhioTrav

Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Info needed...

The ducks are out during the day, swimming inside in the fountains. But the march is only at certain times.

The Pyramid used to host basketball games, concerts, and had traveling exhibits, but in the past couple years since the FedExForum opened, it has basically been locked up and empty. It's still physically there, as part of the northern downtown skyline.

Anywhere downtown is fine, depends on what you're looking for. The Sleep Inn is cheapest at about $80 a night. Most places are $120 or so, some much more. Sleep Inn is on Main St., towards the north end of downtown. Places closer to the main areas would be Residence Inn, Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn, Peabody, and Madison.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
283 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Info needed...

Thanks! We check into the hotels closer to the main items!

OhioTrav

MISSISSIPPI
Level Contributor
116 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Info needed...

I am confused. Are you traveling from Ohio.? Wouldn't you go thru Nashville to get to Memphis? If by chance you are coming from the south, stay iN Missisppi. Just a few miles from Graceland.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
283 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Info needed...

MississippiFab50~

We are beginning our trip in Nashville. We plan to drive down to Huntsville, Alabama then thru Mississippi on our way to Memphis. I have found a few ideas to stop and see in Mississippi. (Corinth, Tulepo) If you have any suggestions please let me know.

OhioTrav

MISSISSIPPI
Level Contributor
116 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Info needed...

Ohio...This is what I would do. I assume you are going to Huntsville for the Space Center and spending the night? Then traveling to Corinth, Ms. The only thing in Corinth is the Civil War Interpretative Center which is very nice but then of course you would have to go to Shiloh National Military Park which is just about 20 minutes away. This is an awesome driving tour thing with a film in the beginning. Just down the road and up a hill, right on the Tennessee River is The Catfish Hotel restaurant (it is not a hotel). You might want to eat dinner there and head to Tupelo to spend the night. What ever you wanted to do in Tupelo you could get up early and do and then head to Memphis and probably do quite a bit on your list. Stay Downtown Memphis that night and get up and finish up Memphis and head back to Nashville. Hope this helps

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
283 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Info needed...

MississippiFab50

That sounds like a good plan! Can't wait to visit! Thanks!

OhioTrav

Get answers to your questions about Memphis