We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Peabody or Hampton Inn?

Which Memphis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Peabody or Hampton Inn?

My husband and I will be visiting Memphis in early April (Easter weekend, in fact) and are looking at staying either at the Peabody or the Hampton Inn downtown, both of which have mixed reviews on various sites.

Any suggestions or inside info from you wonderful natives which will help us decide between these two hotels would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Peabody or Hampton Inn?

Well, the Peabody is THE historic hotel in Memphis. All the Presidents have stayed there, everyone famous, etc. A true southern old school hotel. It is NOT contemporary in the least. It might remind you of grandma's house....lots of expensive antiques but not really fun. It's a big hotel, a few restaurants, a big bar, tons of convention rooms, stores, a spa, health club, etc. And it is connected to the Peabody mall and parking garages. Is it worth the high price tag? To me, no. I like more 'hip' hotel rooms if I'm paying that much money, personally.

The Hampton Inn is okay, but it is LOUD. The noise from the street is unbearable at times. At night on the weekends (meaning, until 3am or so) kids cruise right next to the hotel blaring rap music. Now...the Peabody is on the same street, so it probably has the same problems. Maybe even worse since it faces 3rd, Union, AND 2nd.

So it depends on why you are in town. If you are here to party and stay out all night, Hampton is right on Beale and fits any need. But, if you are wanting to get some rest and sleep, neither hotel would be good. Peabody better, but probably not by much.

If you are looking for high class AND more cool/hip, try the Madison. Just as expensive as the Peabody, but more newer indoors. Also, on a MUCH MUCH quieter street. It definitely has rivaled the Peabody over the past few years. It's close to everything, including some very nice wine bars and restaurants. it doesn't have the fame and history of the Peabody, but to me...so what! :)

Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Peabody or Hampton Inn?

p.s....you can always go inside the Peabody and walk around, go to the bar, use their spa (for a price), shop, and watch the ducks. That way you could get a feel for the place without actually staying there.

arkansas
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Peabody or Hampton Inn?

You'll be fine at either. I can't imagine a trip to Memphis without spending the cocktail hour(s) in the lobby of the Peabody, which provides wonderful people-watching. We've seen as many as 5 wedding parties there in one evening! Having said that, we haven't been thrilled with the rooms there - which were cramped.

If you stay at the Hampton Inn, be sure and get a room that is NOT on the Beale Street side. The noise from Beale Street can be absolutely awful! It doesn't compare in any way to the Peabody, except in location. There's no lobby to speak of, and though they have a free breakfast, it's not a very good one. The personnel is great, though.

To confuse you further, I'll throw in a couple of other options in the general vicinity. The Madison has beautiful rooms, though the ones we've stayed in had tiny bathrooms with no tub, just a shower. They do have a really nice bar and a great restaurant.

Each room at the Marriott Residence Inn has fully-equipped kitchens and some of the rooms are much larger than others. They also have a rooftop with a tiny pool but fabulous river views. (So does the Madison, I forgot to mention that). The Residence Inn also has really, really good free breakfasts with scrambled eggs, sausage, fruit, cereal, potatoes, etc., etc.

Good luck!

Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Peabody or Hampton Inn?

I agree. It really depends on why you are in town...if for a romantic weekend away with your husband, then pick the Peabody or Madison. If you are just in town for the weekend to site see, Residence Inn would be good. If you're in town to party and drink, Hampton Inn is best.

That being said, I did a quick check of the Madison...the first weekend in April is all booked, so I assume that is Easter this year? You need to hurry and get something reserved soon, the nicer hotels downtown fill up quick. Especially on holidays when people are in town.

Peabody has a great brunch every Sunday, and probably a major one on Easter Sunday (they do a great Christmas Brunch on xmas day). It is $40 a person, but worth it. Lobster, steaks, breakfast food, crab, cakes, desserts, champagne, etc. That would be a great thing to do if it's just you and the husband.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Peabody or Hampton Inn?

Thank you both so much for the info. You've been a great help. A question on the Madison -- is it within easy walking distance of the Beale Street festivities? My husband and I would like to spend one night down there but we certainly don't want to have to deal with transportation. If it's close, the Madison looks right awesome.

Thanks!

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Peabody or Hampton Inn?

...although, as you said, the Madison is booked.

Drat!

Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Peabody or Hampton Inn?

Maybe call the hotel, see what they can do. And keep checking the website. Often times people will cancel and a room will open up, just have to check everyday. I've found rooms like that often.

Everything downtown is within walking distance of things. Our downtown is very, very small. The Madison is about 2 blocks from the Peabody.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Peabody or Hampton Inn?

Thanks!

I'm really starting to lean toward the Residence Inn.

You've been very helpful. I really appreciate it. What a great source of information.

Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Peabody or Hampton Inn?

You're welcome, I hope the info on this forum helps people when the come to Memphis. I've never been in the Residence Inn, but I definitely don't think it is "romantic" in any way. But, I've read on here that it's a great hotel. I think they have a rooftop deck that you can watch sunrises/sunsets on. Ah yes, their website shows a hot tub up there too. And it's just one street over from the Madison, right along the Main St trolley line. So, if you didn't want to walk somewhere downtown (maybe if it's raining or cold...or hot!) you could take the trolley. It would take you to the Civil Rights Museum, which is a little bit of a walk, south of Beale in the arts district.

Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Peabody or Hampton Inn?

Wait...I was looking at their calendar wrong...the Madison is not booked the first weekend in April. What dates specifically are you looking at? I was looking at the first weekend in March, the calendar that shows 2 months at a time is sort of confusing. You might want to check again, in case we both did it wrong. It looks like their basic room for $235 a night is available.

Get answers to your questions about Memphis