We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Memphis riverfront

detroit, michigan
Level Contributor
298 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Memphis riverfront

I've already posted here a couple of times about my upcoming trip to Memphis in March - I'd like to thank everyone for their thoughtful responses. I have one more question. Is there anything to do along the waterfront? I was watching some of "American Idol" tonight (there was no football to watch) and they showed some footage along what I assumed to be the MIssissippi going through Memphis - it looked beautiful! Is the riverfront worth spending some time hanging out at? If so, where?

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Memphis riverfront

If your coming in March please post the dates, River Front Drive will be closed for the Memphis in May activities. Closed down and loaded with thousands of Concert Goers and BBQ cookers (and eaters, LOL) That said there are a lot of things to do that are right off of River front Drive. The Memphis Peabody (The Ducks), The Hard Rock Cafe, The Rock and Soul Mueseum. Also in March there are a lot of events because of the Memphis in May Fest so please be more specific on your dates of travel so I can look around for events for you.

Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Memphis riverfront

The above posting is wrong; Memphis in May is in, well...May. Not March. Riverside Drive is closed all of May. But, Riverside Drive does not emcompass the entire riverfront, there would still be plenty to see.

The main area to stroll around in is near Tom Lee Park (which is where the MIM festivals are). It's below the bluff, and you can look up and see all the expensive homes that line the bluff. There is nothing else down there though, like restaurant or shopping wise. It's just a park.

There is Mud Island park, which you can either get to via their airtram, or walk on the bridge above the tram. They have a museum about the river and another little park area. If you like nature and geography, it would be interesting.

There is also "the island" which is not actually mud island but Harbor Town. It is along the river and is a large area with expensive homes and condos. A very "new rich" or yuppie area to live. They also have a long park area going right on the river. Definitely a place where you will see lots of people jogging and walking their dogs. Not a large park, but just very long. Up into the actual Harbor Town, there are a few good restaurants, a little shopping, and things of that nature. Miss Cordelia's Deli is absolutely terrific; if it's a nice day out you could get some sandwiches there and walk to the river front to eat. You need a car though; Harbor Town is over a large bridge and is pretty far from downtown Memphis, although it is considered to be part of 'downtown.'

Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Memphis riverfront

FYI...the part they kept showing on Idol was along the Tom Lee/Mud Island areas. This is where the cobblestone landings are still in existence, where hundreds of years ago boats would pull up on the landing to dock at Memphis. I don't think you are allowed to walk on the cobble stones anymore however. But, in Tom Lee Park, as well as Harbor Town, the park literally runs right along the river so you can theoretically walk up into the river (but don't...yuck). Mud Island museum has a concrete replica of the river on the ground that you can walk along, it's sort of neat. (I'm not that into "nature" type things but most people think the museum is very interesting.

detroit, michigan
Level Contributor
298 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Memphis riverfront

Thanks, I was kind of wondering why Memphis in May would be in March. In any event I to arrive in Memphis the evening of March 22 and will leave the morning of March 25 - so I'll be there Thursday night and all day Friday and Saturday.

Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Memphis riverfront

If the weather is good, Saturday afternoon would be a nice time to visit one of the riverfront parks. There would be a lot of people out if it is warm. If you don't want to walk down there, one thing you can do is get on a Riverfront trolley, which will loop you all around downtown, all the way down Main and then loop over to Riverside Dr, and you will go along the river, and then also up into the bluff through the nice neighborhood up there. That might be an option if the weather is crummy but you'd still like to see the river. The trolleys are not heated or A/C, but they have windows.

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Memphis riverfront

Oppps...sorry about that, note to self, DO NOT TYPE WITHOUT GLASSES ON!!!

7. Re: Memphis riverfront

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 pm, August 21, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Memphis