We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

restaurant advice

ct.
Level Contributor
75 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
restaurant advice

Coming from Conn. to Memphis, Dec.3rd-9th. Looking for moderate priced restaurants in Memphis.Also looking for any coupons for additional savings.Looking forward for the barbecue experience. Thanks for your help.

Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: restaurant advice

What area of town are you wanting to eat in? Types of food? There is a huge variety of restaurants all over town, and Memphis is pretty spread out. If you could narrow it down to an area (or not, if you don't mind driving 30-40 minutes to eat), and also a type of food. And price, as 'moderate' can mean anything.

As for BBQ, the main ones in town are BBQ Shop, Central BBQ, Commisary, Neely's, Rendezvouz, Cozy Corner, Interstate BBQ, and Corky's. Rendezvouz is very touristy, and I personally do not like it. Overpriced, crowded, bad service everytime I've been there. Corky's is now a chain all over the country. Neely's has a couple locations, Central is good and has a younger crowd, BBQ Shop is good, Commissary is out in the burbs, Cozy Corner is in a bad area and looks really shady but is good. Interstate is also in a bad part of town and is further south but is also good. All BBQ will be pretty cheap, unless you get ribs, which can add up. Rendezvouz is most expensive, because you are paying for the atmosphere and the name.

ct.
Level Contributor
75 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: restaurant advice

Thank you for your help.Moderate price is anywhere from$10.00-$20.oo per entre. Staying at the Fairfield Inn at 6010 Macon Cove.Willing to drive for a god meal but would prefer to stay some

what local.

Montgomery, AL
Level Contributor
56 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: restaurant advice

We just returned from Memphis. The best place we ate was Blue's City Cafe. Hubby and I each got a cup of gumbo, very spicy and good, served with toast. I ordered the catfish platter, which was a lot of food (3 pieces of catfish, I think, coleslaw, toast and new potatoes). Hubby had the 1/2 rack of ribs, plenty of food (6-7 ribs, baked beans, toast and fries) and the absolute BEST ribs either of has ever eaten. I drank water and he got sweet tea. Our bill was $40.00 and some change, not including the tip.

Karen

Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: restaurant advice

Ahh okay. The area of your hotel isn't the best for dining. There really isn't too much around there (I-40 and Sycamore View). It's not necessarily the best part of town, although it's fine. It's just not an area of town that has nice dining or shopping. You're right on the interstate though, so it will be easy for you to travel around. If you continue east on the interstate to the Germantown exit, you'll be in the Wolfchase area which is HIGHLY congested but has a ton of eating options (mainly chains). Those would be your best best for under $20 a person. For pasta, maybe Bol A Pasta on Germantown or Coletta's on Appling/Stage or Maccaroni Grill. In the Wolfchase area there is Chili's, On the Border, J. Alexanders, Texas Roadhouse (is that the place next to Alexanders?), a carribbean chain on the corner of Germantown and Stage who's name excapes me, Maccaroni Grill, IHOP, that fondue chain, etc etc. On Stage south of Wolfchase there are a few newer options, including a Memphis Pizza Cafe, Buffalo Wild Wings, El Porton, Olive Garden, and others. If you are looking for non-chain restaurants, it would be best to leave that area of town. Although, there is a Bonefish Grill on Germantown south of that area, that is a good upper scale chain.

The BBQ places in town area cheap, as is a lot downtown. Anything on Beale is cheap, I'd recommend King's Palace, Blues City, or Rum Boogie. For a more upper scale but still relatively inexpensive meal downtown, maybe Automatic Slim's, Cafe 61, or Bluefin.

But literally, if you'll have a car, you could just drive to the Wolfchase area and go a mile or so west and east on Stage, and then a mile south on Germantown and get a pretty good picture of all your options out there.

Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: restaurant advice

There are also a ton of chinese places in town, as well as japanese/sushi restaurants. There is a Sekisui on Germantown for sushi (I've never been to that particular one but it's a midsouth chain that orginated in Memphis and I love it). There is a Huey's on Germantown about 2 miles south of Wolfchase, it's a good local hamburger place, best burger in Memphis for 20 years. Although the Huey's downtown is the original and I would recommend going there over any of the Huey's out east. Downtown next to Huey's is a Big Food Lodge, another burger etc place that is new and good. There's an El Porton next to the Germantown Rd Huey's it too, which is one of the better local mexican chains.

Midtown has a bunch of small restaurants too, don't know if you'd want to drive for them. The Cooper-Young area has Celtic Crossing, do, Cafe Ole, dish, Bluefish, Beauty Shop, Young Ave Deli, and several other local eateries that are good and inexpensive. All within walking distance.

I don't live out in the burbs so I forget what's out there, but I'll keep adding suggestions as I think of them. If you have a type of food in particular that you like, those of us on the forum could suggest some specifics.

Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: restaurant advice

Here is a 10% off coupon for Corky's, which is a chain BBQ place that originated in Memphis.

http://www.memphistravel.com/coupons_din.asp

Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: restaurant advice

Also Blue Plate Cafe has a good breakfast, served all day (I think) as well as a regular lunch/dinner menu. There is one downtown, and on on Poplar at I-240.

The Arcade in the South Main Arts District downtown also has breakfast that is good, as well as great sandwiches and pizza. It's the oldest restaurant in Memphis and is diner-esque.

Memphis
Level Contributor
382 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: restaurant advice

For dining discounts, go to www.restaurant.com. Use this code to receive 60% off your order: 10523. The code is valid through Thursday. This should provide you significant savings for a variety of nice restaurants during your stay.

Given your hotel location, I recommend getting dining certificates to the following:

Bittersweet (seafood)

Central BBQ

Gus' Fried Chicken (not my favorite but everyone raves about the chicken)

Jim's Place East

Molly's La Casita (a little further out but worth it)

Also, there is a Bonefish Grill on Germantown Pkway not too far from your hotel location. Although it is a chain restaurant, it is fairly good (they have 1/2 price appetizers - crab cakes, shrimp, etc. and martini's on Wed. nights).

If you would like to try Corky's BBQ, there is a location on Germantown Pkway that is relatively close by as well.

Hope this helps.

Memphis
Level Contributor
382 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: restaurant advice

ETA: be sure to pull up Memphis restaurants. Use 38139 for the zip code.

ct.
Level Contributor
75 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: restaurant advice

Thank all of you for your advice. I will be sure to check out some of your suggestions.