We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting around in Memphis

Which Memphis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
vancouver,bc
3 posts
Save Topic
getting around in Memphis

In 2 weeks a group of 6 are going to Memphis and staying

near Graceland. We plan on using a cab to get to the tourist

sites which l understand are not too far. Just wondering if there

are mini-van cabs so all 6 can travel together?

Thanks for any info.

Deep South
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: getting around in Memphis

Yellow Cab does have them:

http://www.premierofmemphis.com/Services.asp

Minivans may be rented for about $95/day:

http://www.budget.com/cars/domestic/vans.html

Most of Memphis is not near Graceland. You might consider staying closer to downtown, using the city bus and trolley system there, and catching a bus to and from Graceland.

West Tn
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: getting around in Memphis

I agree with Pipedude. The Graceland area is not the best part of town to be staying.

if you must stay in that area,definitely rent a van or car. You will probably spend more time near Downtown or even Midtown. The majority of "tourist" attractions are in those areas.

If you will be there for St Patrick's Day and like to party, check out Beale Street.

Have fun & enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!

West Tn
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: getting around in Memphis

Forgot to add. You probably Do Not want to use the MATA buses either. A cab would be much better & since you have a group, the rates maybe cheaper.

Also, Some Hotels to have a shuttle service to Downtown that is either FREE or really cheap!!

drk
mn
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: getting around in Memphis

Check into the Sun Records shuttle. It was perfect for us. The stops were (not in order): Graceland, Sun Studios, Stax Museum, Rock n' Soul Museum, and a downtown restaurant.

Norwalk, Ohio
Level Contributor
14 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: getting around in Memphis

Can anyone tell me why I have heard from more than one person that it is not the greatest area to stay around Graceland? We have a hotel booked near Cordova because of what I heard....but what is so bad about the area? Just curious.

Memphis
Level Contributor
673 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: getting around in Memphis

preston86 read my other post that I replied to your concerns. Basically, don't be concerned.

Norwalk, Ohio
Level Contributor
14 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: getting around in Memphis

Thank you for the boost of confidence. I was starting to second guess our trip. I will look forward to a great time and enjoy seeing Graceland and all the other touristy things around Memphis.

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
23 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: getting around in Memphis

It is bad, and you made the right choice. Rent a car to get around in. Every city ahs bad and good places. Poplar is the main street in memphis and goes east and west. Also, go to Yahoo and under maps, put in driving directions from your hotel to graceland. It will print out driving directions for you.

Pleae let me know if I can be of more help. Thanks!

Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: getting around in Memphis

The area around Graceland is not good and definitely not an area to be out in at night. Especially for out of towners. Graceland is a one day thing, it would be much wiser to stay downtown near all the other touristy things and just take a cab one day to Graceland.