We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Day

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas Day

We are spending Christmas & New Year in Memphis staying at The Madison.

Would like to make a restaurant reservation for 25th December before we travel.

Obviously Grill 83 is an option but any good alternatives for this day would be appreciated.

Also should I reserve for lunch or dinner?

Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas Day

I think most places will be closed on Christmas day. A lot of downtown restaurants are only open on Saturday nights during the weekends. There is just a lack of business otherwise, I assume. I would search through this forum to find some restaurants that others have recommended (we've covered this topic in depth many times) and call around to see what is open. It depends on what type of restaurant you are looking for.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas Day

Thank you for your reply.

I have read various postings on this forum recommending different restaurants and so I have an idea where is good to eat.

However this is Christmas Day and as you said some restaurants may not be open or they may be full - hence the question.

I suppose I had in mind something similar to Grill 83 in cooking style/standard.

Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas Day

I've heard mixed reviews about Grill 83. I've never ate there myself.

I think Stella, Felicia Suzanne's, Automatic Slim's, Cafe 61, Bluefin, Sawaddi, etc might be your best bets for food similar to Grill 83. Or, anything in the Peabody, they would probably be open since it's a hotel. Downtown restaurants are strange, they seem to close for the strangest of reasons. Also, this is the Bible belt so I would imagine most places would be closed Christmas day for religious reasons. You'd just need to call and check.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas Day

Thanks for the advice.

I will take a look at the restaurants that you have named and give them a call about the 25th.

5. Re: Christmas Day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:51 pm, October 20, 2006
Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas Day

Frankly, who is going to be out and about on New Year's DAY? Most people are probably sleeping it off after staying out all night. Memphis is a very southern religious town, so most places are not open on Xmas Day, or Sundays period for that matter. New Year's Day probably just doesn't have enough business. If a restaurant has zero customers, why stay open and waste money? I wouldn't say people here are hermits...they just have other things going on. And holidays ARE about staying home with family, not necessarily partying.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas Day

Surely it cannot be as bad as you suggest.

I can understand that businesses will close on the 25th and on NYD

but they must be open for the remainder of the holidays.

What about Beale Street, does that close for the holidays as well?

Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas Day

Well, Beale is a street, so it never closes. However, it is only at night that they close it off to traffic and card people to get on it. I would assume they wouldn't even close it to traffic on the holidays. There might be a couple smaller bars open, but I'm guessing on major holidays like Xmas, it would be pretty deserted.

I don't know how it is elsewhere, but I've never even thought about going out on Xmas Day, and I'm not overly religious or family-oriented. It's just....a day to stay at home. I think a lot of other people feel the same way. It's just not a day to be out and about.

9. Re: Christmas Day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:51 pm, October 20, 2006
Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Christmas Day

I think most restaurants here ARE open on Sundays, although some of the downtown places that depend largely on the business crowd might not be. I've never had a problem trying to find an open restaurant on a Sunday.

If letting employees have one stupid day off for Christmas makes us backwards, then for once I'm glad to be backwards. I'm also willing to bet there ARE some restaurants that will be open on that day; I just wouldn't count on finding your first choice open. The movie theaters are open, some of the stores are open, especially grocery & convenience stores, but the plain fact is that it can be very hard to staff a major holiday because the majority of people (even the not-particularly religious ones, a lot of the time!) want the day (or more) off.