We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxis from outside Graceland back to Beale St.

Which Memphis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1 post
20 reviews
Save Topic
Taxis from outside Graceland back to Beale St.

Hi, we have bought platinum tickets for Graceland, and want to get a taxi to and from, without using the shuttles. Making our way there should be easy, but are there taxis freely available from outside Graceland to get back to Beale Street? We are staying at The Westin.

Many thanks.

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
8,703 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxis from outside Graceland back to Beale St.

I've answered you in your PM.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxis from outside Graceland back to Beale St.

There was an earlier discussion on this where a couple to a taxi there from down town for $19. there are several taxis at a stand by Graceland. They went to get one back and got in with out asking price. That taxi wanted $30 to go back. They haggled down to $22. Our hotel recommended the Yellow cabs but don't get in with out getting an estimate. I forgot the name of the other cab they had to haggle with.

scotland
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxis from outside Graceland back to Beale St.

Always wise to ask how much before you get in

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
4,336 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxis from outside Graceland back to Beale St.

We took numerous taxis in Memphis and only ONE used its meter. The others seemed to just make up a fare. One of them assured me his meter was on when I could clearly see it read "vacant". I always asked for an estimate but still I'm fairly sure we paid over the odds. Also we noted that none of the drivers wore a seatbelt and the standard of driving was erratic and sometimes scary.The Westin got us a cab to Graceland which I assumed was a reputable cab operator and it cost $35. We got a cab back from outside Graceland to Sun Studios and that was the one that lied about his meter, I can't remember the exact cost but I think around $30.

Benfleet, United...
Level Contributor
532 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxis from outside Graceland back to Beale St.

Similar thing happened to us with airport taxis. When we arrived the first cab in the line was an Arrow cab which I was a little dubious of going by earlier reports. He drove well and charged us $34, returning to the airport we got a yellow cab in the Peabody valet lot and he charged $28.

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
8,703 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxis from outside Graceland back to Beale St.

There's always going to be some minor variations in cab fares even between the same destinations depending on traffic, stop lights, etc.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxis from outside Graceland back to Beale St.

Arrow is the cab that got the bad rap in a previous post..... Our hotel suggested we avoid arrow. seems best to stick with a yellow cab and if they don't throw the meter when you start STOP and get out.

Northampton
Level Contributor
26 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxis from outside Graceland back to Beale St.

If you don't want to drive, I would stick to the shuttles. Having been fleeced by cab drivers in the city on several occasions we decided to rent a car in future.

9. Re: Taxis from outside Graceland back to Beale St.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, May 05, 2015