We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Knoxsville to Memphis

Which Memphis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
East Hartford...
3 posts
Save Topic
Knoxsville to Memphis

Hi,

We will be in Knoxsville in Sept and wish to take a trip to Memphis before returning home in the East Coast. Is there transportation to get from Knoxsville to TN? I was thinking a train as I read that it is a 6 hr drive by car. Might be worth a plane? It will be costly as I am coming from CT to Knoxsville and then home from Memphis to CT by plane.

I hate to be in TN and not see Graceland. Any advice. Also, I believe I can get away without a car. i will be seeing the sights for a couple days. I need to be fairly close to Graceland and the airport. Any suggestion approximately what part of Memphis to stay at? Thanks.

Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,822 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Knoxsville to Memphis

There is not a quicker travel time than what you mentioned between Knoxville and Memphis. You're next option is flight which up till now has been expensive. The costs are trending downward for flying into and out of Memphis now, but I don't know how Knoxville flights are affected yet.

You're right, you shouldn't miss Graceland or touring the haunts and historic sites of Blues and Rock n Roll legends in Memphis. Stay Downtown where you can walk or ride the trolley to many attractions, then ride via Sun Studio Shuttle free of charge to Graceland and Sun Studio and back. Good hotels within range of the Shuttle are Hampton Inn, Peabody Hotel, and Residence Inn Downtown.

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
8,635 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Knoxsville to Memphis

You could look into Greyhound. Bus stations in most cities aren't that great, but the buses are fine.

East Hartford...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Knoxsville to Memphis

Thanks for your response.. The bus is a 9 hr trip!! I figure if we go, we will drive the 170 miles to KY and then take a train. Lots of planning!! We would come home via plane to CT and Chicag\o. On a positive note, I could fly Southwest home, instead of Delta..who I totally hate. They screw up my flight every time.. SW, no problems!! Thanks for the input. And yes, I looked up the flights and it was $200 from Knoxsville to Memphis!! Seemed high to me, especially since Memphis to CT is around 200. How can a state only have one train station (the other 2nd closest one is in TN and 178 miles).

I definitley might consider the 3 or so drive in the car and then the train. Depends on what my friend wants to do. I might have to ask more regarding a good place to stay, if we go, which is near the airport, transportation and Graceland. I loved Elvis and want to see this. I saw him briefly in Cncert In CT the year he died..but he was so heavy and I could not see a thing when everyone stood up....These were the best seats in the house..on the floor (before it was rebuild).

Being not quite 5' was not the best place to be. Oh, btw, I looked up the cost of the tickets.. $11 LOL

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
8,635 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Knoxsville to Memphis

You're so welcome.

You'd be hard pressed to find a Delta fan in Memphis. Since they took over Northwest and de-hubbed Memphis, our airport has been on the skids and hundreds of people have lost their jobs.

As for where to stay, Graceland is near the airport, but its not a particularly lovely part of town. There are two hotels across the street from the mansion, Days Inn and Heartbreak Hotel, which are fine. You might consider staying downtown instead, where you can walk or take the trolley to many attractions, restaurants, etc. Also, there's a free shuttle from downtown to Graceland to Sun Studios, but you must take the studio tour to use it.

Long gone are the days of $11 big name concerts, but Memphis does offer a fair number of free musical performances. Once you firm up your plans, you can look into that as well.

East Hartford...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Knoxsville to Memphis

thanks for the info. Now we are thining of not going too far from Knoxsville and visiting sites near it for a few days. We've already seen so,,e of Pidgeon Forge and will look to see about another town. But I do want to get to Memphis and see where the King is..It has to be a real experience. Thanks agaiin, Ellen

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
8,635 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Knoxsville to Memphis

Yiu're welcome.

You might enjoy GSMNP or Chattanooga.

scotland
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
2,262 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Knoxsville to Memphis

Lisa Marie Presley recently did a free concert at the Overton park shell next to the zoo,

Plenty live music on Beale st & if your staying at Graceland check out the Rock n Roll Cafe for good free live music, it can be a tribute to Elvis show like this weekend or buddy holly or who ever they have in, some midweek too

8. Re: Knoxsville to Memphis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:32 am, March 24, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Memphis