We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
4,891 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report

Arrived Thursday, June 27th, departed Sunday, June 30th. There were 5 in our group, celebrating our mother's 70th Birthday (4 adults, and 1 12 year-old girl). Here is what we did for the weekend: All of my reviews have been posted if you'd like to read.

Thursday:

When arriving in Memphis, we stopped at Elmwood Cemetery and took the 1 hour CD car tour. $10. Fantastic.

Checked into the Springhill Suites downtown, between Front Street and Madison. Location is perfect. Across from the quaint Town Square, trolley stop right out front.

I arranged (for my Mom's 70th Birthday) a horse/carriage tour with Carriage Tours. Phil, our guide, picked us up from the hotel at 5pm and we received an amazing up close, informative tour of the city. It was perfect, and a highlight of the trip. $75 for 1 hour, $45 for 30 min. (That's per carriage, not per person) Well worth the money.

Next, we took a trolley to B.B. Kings. Paid a $3 cover (for adults, kids free). Great toe-tappin, hip shakin band. My daughter loved it. We will return, but will skip the food next time.

After dinner, we hung out on Beale for awhile, walking up and down and stopped to watch The Beale Street Flippers. Fantastic! Headed back to the hotel around 10pm.

Friday:

We drove to Graceland because my mother had a difficult time getting up the second step of the trolley (the night before), since she doesn't have full range of motion in her left knee. (We would later discover that not all of the trolleys are set up this way. If you have similar mobility issues and are too prideful to use the 'lift' that's available, look for the smaller trolleys where the doors are located up close to the driver, rather than the longer ones that have the doors that open in the middle of the car). Anyway, our drive to Graceland was easy and only about 15 minutes. Parking is $10. Tour was great and only about 3 hours, but we stopped for an ice cream cone.

On the way back, we stopped at Huey's (downtown) for a late lunch. We were so stuffed, we skipped dinner. Took our mother back to the hotel and walked to Beale St. Looked in all of the shops and was back by 7:30pm. My sisters went back out and listened to a band at Silky O'Sullivans. They said it was great and not too crowded. My daughter and I utilized the pool at the hotel.

Saturday:

Took the trolley to the Civil Rights Museum. Loved it - highly recommend! Lunch at Gus' Fried Chicken on Front Street. I'm still thinking about that chicken!!

Back to the hotel for afternoon coffee. Next, we walked to the Peabody, looked around in their many gift shops and watched the 5pm duck march. Next stop, the Madison hotel for a drink at their Skyway roof top bar. The view is breathtaking. Worth the trip!

Back to the hotel to freshen up. Took the trolley to Central BBQ for a fabulous meal, then walked to Beale St. Shopped a bit more, watched the Beale Flippers again. We had planned on sitting at Silky's again, but there was a $5 cover and no children allowed past 9:30. Right at about 10pm, my daughter had to use the restroom and no one would let her in. We walked all the way to Hooter's where they allowed her to use the facilities. There were many children about with their parents, but it was incredibly crowded and we left at 10:45 when things began to get 'racy.'

Sunday:

We left the hotel about 9:30, but ended up stopping at Mud Island. This was fantastic. Very interesting, just wish we would have had more time there. $4 pp for monorail ride, Mississippi replica is free. $10 for museum + monorail ride. Or take the pedestrian walk over for free. Parking is $5.

Lunch at Willie Moore's on Main St. Food just ok.

We had such a great time. Downtown Memphis is just so charming. Attractions are very reasonably priced. We're hoping to return in late September. Can't wait.

If you have any questions, I'm happy to answer if I'm able.

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
8,909 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report

Thanks for the report. Sounds like y'all had an amazing trip. Mud Island will still be open for the season in September. Perhaps you can make a return visit.

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
4,891 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report

We plan to, Deb. We'd also like to take another carriage tour, visit Sun Studio, the Pink Palace Museum, Cotton Exchange Museum, Gibson Guitar Factory, maybe the Civil Rights Museum again - we loved it so much. Gus' again, of course, maybe a different BBQ restaurant - just for comparison, Deja Vu's (opening soon on Main) and possibly Felicia Suzanne's, which we walked past a million times and always wanted to stop in. So much to do, so little time :)

We're thinking of renting a townhouse or condo - 3 bedrooms that sleep 6 or more. Do you have any suggestions in the downtown area? I've looked at few online, just never quite sure what to expect.

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
8,909 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report

I don't know of any personal experiences from folks renting condos in Memphis. I can say we've rented directly from owners in various locations through vrbo.com and have had great success with that site. If you're interested in a particular property, feel free to ask on here about the location.

While not condos, you might investigate Talbot Heirs Guesthouse or the downtown Residence Inn for larger quarters, kitchens, etc.

Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee, Memphis
Level Contributor
2,921 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report

Sounds really great. Next time include the Memphis Mojo Tour by Backbeat Tours, Jerry Lee Lewis' Honky Tonk for Rockabilly piano on Late weekend afternoons, and the improved Riverboat Tour on the Memphis Queen or Island Queen departing from the new Beale St. Landing docks.

scotland
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
2,274 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report

There's plenty to do in town at good prices if you compare prices with larger tourist cities in the US.

Memphis has one of the largest number of carriage tours of any city too. There really is something for everyone. I'm so happy you enjoyed your visit & already planning to return,

6. Re: Trip report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, July 14, 2014