We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Memphis tours, Sunday or Monday?

Topeka, Kansas
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Memphis tours, Sunday or Monday?

We'll be in Memphis April 21 & 22, Sunday and Monday. Two senior adults. Which day should we do the Graceland/Sun Studio/Rock & Soul Museum - Sunday or Monday? The other day, we'll probably visit the Civil Rights Museum and spend time on Beal Street. It seems that everything is open both days, but will the crowds be a lot less on Monday? Any other favorites to suggest?

Thanks!

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
8,850 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Memphis tours, Sunday or Monday?

You shouldn't have overly large crowds on either of those days, so I don't think it will matter. Monday might be slighly less busy, but you never know when there might be tour groups visit.

You should note that part of the NCRM is currently closed for remodeling. It won't take you as long as usual to see it, so you might want to add an activity or two. Perhaps you'd enjoy visiting Mud Island, Rock and Soul Museum, a Gibson Guitar factory tour (I recommend doing these on weekdays) or spending some time in the Peabody lobby seeing the ducks and having a drink.

www.civilrightsmuseum.org/?page_id=2520

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
8,850 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Memphis tours, Sunday or Monday?

One other idea I had is you might enjoy Backbeat's Memphis Mojo tour.

http://www.backbeattours.com/tours/mojo.cfm

Topeka, Kansas
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Memphis tours, Sunday or Monday?

Thanks, Deb. On Sunday, I think we'll see Graceland, R & S Museum and Sun Studio, since there is a free shuttle between those three. Then Monday morning we can take the 2-hour Mojo tour. That still leaves the rest of the day to take in the Peabody, Civil Rights Museum and whatever else we come across. Thanks for recommending the Backbeat tour - I had wondered about it.

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
8,850 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Memphis tours, Sunday or Monday?

You're so welcome. Sounds like you've got it all worked out.

Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee, Memphis
Level Contributor
2,895 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Memphis tours, Sunday or Monday?

I believe that the Mojo leaves at 11:30 am nowadays (they seem to change the time ocassionally). If you check with the Concierge at the Peabody beforehand you might catch an afternoon overflow history tour of the hotel which usually starts at 11:30 am, but goes again later if some can't make 11:30. Gibson Guitar Tour is more interesting if you are a guitarist or enthusiast.

Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
73 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Memphis tours, Sunday or Monday?

The Mojo Tour is fun and a great way to see the highlights. We've done it a few times and really enjoy it.

7. Re: Memphis tours, Sunday or Monday?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 07, 2014